Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

1997 Mercury Marquis: replacing a waterpump..with a 4.6L V8 engine

How do i go about...
How do i go about replacing a waterpump on a 1997 Mercury Marquis with a 4.6L V8 engine?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/18/2011
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

kalamykid :

This is a fairly easy job to do. The only hard part is getting the fan to come off of the front of the water pump.

kalamykid :

The first thing you need to do is remove the fan shroud and electric fan. To do this you have to slide the lower part of the fan shroud up and around the top of the shroud. It has a grove that it fits into and will slide all the way around.

kalamykid :

Then remoce the top two bolts that hold the shroud to the radiator, unplug the electric fan. Do not remove the center top bolt that holds the electric fan to the shroude, and then pull bot of them up as a unit. The lower hose will have a support on the bottom of the shroud so move the lower hose under it befor pulling it up.

kalamykid :

Then you will need to get a wrench that will fit the base of the fan where it screws onto the water pump. You will have to use a hammer to hit the wrench to break the fan loose, but once it is loose it will just spin off.

kalamykid :

Then remove the belt and the water pump pulley, drain the cooling system, and remove the 5 bolts that hold the water pump to the block.

kalamykid :

Make sure to clean the mounting surface before you put the new pump on.

kalamykid :

Revers the steps to put it all back together.

kalamykid :

If you have an air hammer and a pionted bit, you can use it on the edge of the nut for the fan base to loosen the fan from the water pump.

kalamykid :

It does not take much to get it loose so b=do not over do it.

Customer:

Do i need to know the direction of rotation where the fan attaches to the waterpump or is it just held down with nuts or bolts?

kalamykid :

The fan base to the water pump just spins off like a gegular not would. It does not have revers threads.

kalamykid :

sorry for the typo.

kalamykid :

The fan base to the water pump spins off like a regular nut would.

kalamykid :

After you remove the fane you can remove the 4 bolts that holds the pulley on.

Customer:

Thats okay with the typo, as long as i understand what you are saying.Thanks for all your help. I will now accept.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech