Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

2002 Mercury Mountaineer not cranking. What to do?

Customer Question
2002 Mercury Mountaineer, no crank...

2002 Mercury Mountaineer, no crank nothing. Starter is good, key in ignition, dash lights are up but when you turn the key, there is  nothing.

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mercury
2/8/2011
Mercury Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Mercury_Morris :

Please include the year,make,model,sub-model,engine,2wd,4wd,flex,gas,diesel.

Howdo you know t starter is good?Is itnew or has it ben tested? If it has been tested than I assume the connectons are tight.

For the starter wiring diagrams, click here for early production and here for late. These files open with abode acrobat free reader.

Is his an automatic or manual trans?

First of all, check those fuses. Fuse #23 30A, fuse #12 50A in battery junction block and fuse #29 10A.

Or for the early model the fuse #4 5A.

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

4.0L AWD fuses ok

Mercury_Morris :

So, it's an automatic?

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

yes

small wire to starter has no power with key cranking or in on position

Mercury_Morris :

Try holding the key on start and moving the shifter all the way from low to park. If at any spot the starter engages expect neutral or park, adjust the neutral switch.

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

did it nothing either

Mercury_Morris :

It may be the relay. Check for voltage to the relay at the light green/violet and the white/pink with key on start and in nutral or park.

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

ok hang on checking now

Mercury_Morris :

ok

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

have power to lightgreen/violet but no power to white pink

Mercury_Morris :

With key on start and in park or neutral?

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

yes

sorry in on position

do i need to crank it

i mean start position

Mercury_Morris :

I thought yousaid it won't crank. Yes, with key on crank or start.

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

it won't

i mean do i need to put the key in crank position to test

Mercury_Morris :

yes

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

start positon

Mercury_Morris :

yes

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

ok doing it now

Mercury_Morris :

ok

If no voltage there first double-check that fuse #4 5A or fuse #29 10A. Not just look at the fue but check with a 12 volt testlight or voltmeter. If the fuse is ok and still no voltage at the white/pink then check with key on start in park at red/light blue wire feeding the Digital transmission range (TR) sensor.

Now, if you do have voltage at the white/pink wire than the relay is most likely bad, but first ground the orange wire from relay to pcm and turn key to start and see if starter cranks.

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

ok back

have power to the white and pink wire

Mercury_Morris :

k, what did you find?

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

now i am going to ground that orange wire

Mercury_Morris :

Ok, the relay is probably bad, try jumping across if you can from the white/pink to orange or ground the orange.

whichever is easier

That should activate the relay

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

nothing still

Mercury_Morris :

ok, when yo jump or gound that orange wire check for voltage at t yellow/light blue wire going to sarter

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

ok and just so you know i swapped that relay for one that i know is good

Mercury_Morris :

ok, check the yellow/light blue wire when you jump.

Ok, you have power to lightgreen/violet and have power to the white and pink wire with key on start, then you should have power to the yellow/light blue if the relay is good. What did you try about te orange wire? Did you jump it or ground it?

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

ok

i have power to the light green/ violet and i have power to white/ pink i jumped it from white/pink to orange and still have nothing at the yellow/ light blue wire

and i tried grounding that orange wire too

Mercury_Morris :

The relay is bad. Why did you think the relay was good?

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

changed it

Mercury_Morris :

It's new?

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

yes

Mercury_Morris :

I think it' bad. Take it back.

Is there anyway yu may have hooked it up wrong or backwards?

JACUSTOMER-bo9mwmg7- :

don't think so but will check it.

i see a tech bulletin from 2006 about this same thing any chance that i have a bad wire

Were you checking for voltage right at the relay? You could probably check that relay off the vehicle. You will need an ohmmeter. Do you have an ohmmeter?

Like this. When you apply positive voltage to the white/pink terminal and ground the orange you should have continuity between the light green/violet and yellow/light blue terminals.

graphic

relay is good what now???

Did you test it or are you going with the assumption it's ok because it is new?

Jump the relay on the other side just to make sure all the wiring on that side is ok. Jump the light green/violet to the yellow/light blue. Be careful, if it's in drive it will move.

jumped the relay and the starter cranked over fine but would not start is it possible that the chip in the key is bad or something with the anti theft system i have lights to the dash blower motor lights wiper motor works etc. but no crank and (sounds like the fuel pump is not working and i have no spark at this point i just do not know any help or recommendations would really be appreciated thanks again for your help

I just wanted to check the wiring to the starter, it's probably not starting because you are no using the key to start, thus the pcm doesn't know the key is on. Did you try it with the key on run when you jumped the starter?

Do you see any theft warnings or messages?

yes tryed it with key on still nothing when i jumped it at the relay did not really see any theft warnings any recommendations???

Let me get this straight, when you jump the relay from white/pink to orange you have no voltage at the yellow/light blue but when you jump the light/green violet to the light blue the starter works. Make sure you are getting a good ground on your tester and check it again. Just because the relay is new and it does click doesn't mean it is good.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician