Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

2000 mercury cougar: free fuse box diagram..stereo..trunk

Customer Question
need free fuse box diagram...
need free fuse box diagram for a 2000 mercury cougar, tryed to install a car stereo hit a bare wire and knocked out my power to the car. have intearea lights, door,trunk power work.. but no head lights or any power to the rest of the car
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mercury
12/20/2010
Mercury Mechanic: Steve, Mercury Technician replied 6 years ago
Steve
Steve, Mercury Technician

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

hi getting it

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

i check all the small fuses and they were all good , so do u know what eles i can do or which fuse it could cause me to lose power to car

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

are u still there?

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

i also need to know what the small fuses are or what there for?

Steve :

hi

Steve :

the fuses under the hood ar the major ones for the car

Steve :

need to chec the fuse box next to the battery

Steve :

f15 16 17 18 wre headlamp fuses under the hood fuse box next to the battery

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

i check all the small ones and they are all good, and i dont know how to check the lg. square black ones to know if there no good,

Steve :

do you have a ohm meteror a volt meter?

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

no

Steve :

can you see the big fuses with a flashlight look at the top and see if it is blown but the best way is with a voltmeterr that has a ohm meter

Steve :

You can buy one for cheap at radio shack

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

hows that work

Steve :

pull the fuse out and check the fuse male end with a ohmmeter and should have no resistance or should read 0

Steve :

you should be able to see the fuse with a flashlight on the top should be a window

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

dose work for the black ones u cant see though

Steve :

how did you check the small fuses you need a test light or a voltmeter

Steve :

are you checking under the hood by the battery?

Steve :

those are the major fuses that when not working nothing works

Steve :

what wire did you touch to ground?

Steve :

the radio wire?

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

i check the regular ones and they are all good, as for the blck ones i dident check those ones

Steve :

under the hood fuse f40 for the radio

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

yes

Steve :

under the dash is fuse f36

Steve :

check at spot f40 fuse box next to the battery and under the dash check fuse f36

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

but all those are ok

Steve :

then you have somthing else going on what does not work?

Steve :

If all the fuses are ok then you could have melted a wire or blown a component that is why you disconnect the battery before doing electrical wiring

Steve :

in order to diag you will need a voltmeter or a test light

Steve :

what does not work?

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

head lamp, key switch, heater,turn signals,horn....

Steve :

you may have blown the ign switch

Steve :

do fuses 15 16 17 and 18 ok at the fuse box next to the battery?

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

those are the sm. ones

Steve :

and if all the fuses are ok under the dash?

Steve :

then I would check the ign switch

Steve :

need a voltmeter or test light do you have one

Steve :

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

not yet

Steve :

need to get one to diag

Steve :

or have someone help you who has one

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

when i get one how do i check it

Steve :

check power to the switch and see if power is coming out of the switch with the key on

Steve :

power in is the red wire

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

when i turn the key on nothing happens

Steve :

that is because the ign switch is bad

Steve :

It is pretty cheap just replace it

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

is that the problum

Steve :

probably

Steve :

click on the blue link for how to replace

JACUSTOMER-6n4jcrf1- :

power window dont work

Steve :

all run through the ign switch

Steve :

if fuses are ok need ign switch

Steve :

or take to a shop to get a diag if you want to know for sure

Steve :

click on the blue link

Steve :

any other questions

Steve :

let me know if you have any other questions

Steve
Steve
Steve, Mercury Technician