Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

How to access power steering hose at rack for replacement?

Customer Question
how to access power steering hose at rack for replacement?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mercury
9/26/2010
Mercury Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 7 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

this should help

please print

thanks

Ford Contour/Mystique/Cougar 1995-1999

Power Steering Rack and Pinion

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 4

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Working inside the vehicle, remove the clamp plate bolt retaining the steering column shaft to the flexible coupling.

FIG : Fig. 1: Disconnect the steering column shaft from the flexible coupling

image

1. Rotate the clamp plate to separate it from the shaft of the flexible coupling.
  2. Remove the floor seal being careful not to damage the sealing lip.
  3. Remove the pinch bolt securing the flexible coupling to the rack and pinion (steering gear) pinion shaft and remove the flexible coupling.

FIG : Fig. 2: Disengage the flexible coupling from the steering gear pinion shaft

image

1. Remove as much of the power steering fluid as possible from the power steering auxiliary reservoir using a suction gun or similar method.
  2. Disconnect the power steering return hose from the power steering pump auxiliary reservoir.

The front sub-frame must be removed in order to allow removal of the rack and pinion (steering gear).

1. If equipped with the 2.0L engine, remove the oil level dipstick and the exhaust manifold shield.
  2. If equipped with the 2.5L engine, remove the water pump pulley shield.
  3. Secure the radiator and fan shroud assembly to the radiator support using safety wire.
  4. Install an appropriate engine support device to the engine lifting eyes and support the engine/transaxle assembly.
  5. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  6. Remove the catalytic converter.
  7. Remove the front wheel and tire assemblies.
  8. Separate the left and right sway bar links from the front sway bar.
  9. Separate the left and right outer tie rod ends from the steering knuckles. Discard the cotter pins.
  10. Remove the pinch bolts and separate the front suspension lower control arms from the steering knuckles at the ball joints.
  11. Remove the splash shield at the front of the sub-frame.
  12. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, remove the retaining through-bolts from the left and right front engine support insulators (engine mounts) to the sub-frame.
  13. If equipped with a manual transaxle, remove the through-bolt from the left front engine support insulator and remove the right front engine support insulator and mounting bracket.
  14. Disconnect the power steering oil cooler hoses at the right front of the sub-frame and drain the power steering system.
  15. Remove the A/C accumulator retaining screws from the front sub-frame.
  16. Remove the four bolts retaining the lower radiator supports to the front sub-frame. Rotate the radiator supports forward.
  17. Remove the two screws retaining the bumper cover braces to the left and right sides of the front sub-frame and rotate the cover braces forward.
  18. Position an appropriate lifting device and two wood blocks approximately 40 inches in length attached to the sub-frame to support the sub-frame for removal from the vehicle.

Be sure that the lifting device and wood blocks are correctly positioned for safe removal of the sub-frame.

1. Remove the four sub-frame to body retaining bolts.
  2. Lower the sub-frame slightly and disconnect the power steering pressure and return hoses from the rack and pinion.
  3. Finish lowering the sub-frame.
  4. Remove the six bolts and the steering gear cover plate from the sub-frame.
  5. Disconnect the power steering pressure and return hose unions from the steering gear.
  6. Remove the two bolts retaining the steering gear to the sub-frame and remove the rack and pinion.

To install:

1. If the rack and pinion (steering gear) is being replaced, remove the inner tie rods and boots from the old unit and install on the new one, if they are in good condition.
  2. Install new plastic seals on the power steering pressure and return line fittings as required.
  3. Reinstall the rack and pinion to the sub-frame and install the retaining bolts.
  4. Tighten the two rack and pinion retaining bolts to 101 ft. lbs. (137 Nm).
  5. Reconnect the power steering and return hose unions to the rack and pinion.
  6. Tighten the unions to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
  7. Reinstall the rack and pinion cover plate and install the six retaining bolts.
  8. Tighten the retaining bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
  9. If lowered, raise and safely support the vehicle.
  10. If removed, position the front sub-frame onto the powertrain lift and raise.
  11. Reinstall the power steering pressure and return hoses to the rack and pinion.
  12. Position the front sub-frame to the body.
  13. Route the power steering hoses to their correct positions.
  14. Loosely install the four sub-frame to body bolts.
  15. Install Sub-Frame Alignment Pin Set T94P-2100-AH or equivalent, into the front sub-frame to body alignment holes.

FIG : Fig. 3: Install alignment pins such as Sub-Frame Alignment Pin Set T94P-2100-AH into the sub-frame to ensure correct positioning

image

1. Slightly tighten the four sub-frame to body retaining bolts.
  2. Move the sub-frame to complete the alignment.
  3. Tighten the four sub-frame to body retaining bolts to 81-110 ft. lbs. (110-150 Nm).
  4. Remove the alignment tools.
  5. Reinstall the A/C bracket retaining screw to the sub-frame and secure.
  6. Reconnect the power steering oil cooler hoses to the front of the sub-frame.
  7. Install the Powertrain Alignment Gauge T94P-6000-AH or equivalent, to the left front engine support bracket and the sub-frame.
  8. Tighten the two retaining bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm) and snug the through-bolt.
  9. Lower the vehicle.
  10. Remove the engine support from the top of the engine compartment.
  11. Reconnect the power steering return hose to the power steering pump auxiliary reservoir.
  12. Working inside the vehicle, install the flexible coupling to the steering gear pinion shaft and install the pinch bolt.
  13. Tighten the pinch bolt to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
  14. Reinstall the floor seal.
  15. Align the steering column shaft clamp plate with the flexible coupling and install the clamp plate bolt. Tighten the clamp plate bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
  16. Partially raise and safely support the vehicle.
  17. Install the right front engine support insulator (engine mount). Tighten the two retaining bolts to 30-41 ft. lbs. (41-55 Nm) and the through-bolt to 75-102 ft. lbs. (103-137 Nm).
  18. Check the position of the right front engine mount (support insulator). It must be centered in the transaxle bracket and in perfect front to rear alignment.
  19. Remove the two retaining bolts and the through-bolt securing the powertrain alignment gauge and remove the powertrain alignment gauge.
  20. Reinstall the left front engine mount to the front sub-frame using the two retaining bolts. Tighten the retaining bolts to 84 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  21. Check the position of the left front engine mount to ensure perfect front to rear alignment.
  22. Retighten the two retaining bolts to 30-40 ft. lbs. (41-55 Nm).
  23. Reinstall the left front engine mount through-bolt. Tighten the through-bolt to 75-102 ft. lbs. (103-137 Nm).
  24. Reinstall the sway bar link to the front sway bar. Tighten the retaining nuts to 35-48 ft. lbs. (47-65 Nm).
  25. Reconnect the left and right lower control arms to the ball joints and install the pinch bolts. Tighten the pinch bolts to 37-43 ft. lbs. (50-58 Nm).
  26. Reinstall the catalytic converter.
  27. Reinstall both tie rod ends to the steering knuckles. Install new cotter pins.
  28. Reinstall the wheel and tire assemblies and tighten the lug nuts to 63 ft. lbs. (85 Nm).
  29. Reinstall the front bumper cover braces to both sides of the sub-frame.
  30. Reinstall the radiator supports and the splash shield to the sub-frame.
  31. Lower the vehicle.
  32. Remove the safety wire supporting the radiator and fan shroud assembly.
  33. If equipped with the 2.0L engine, install the exhaust manifold shield and the oil level dipstick.
  34. If equipped with the 2.5L engine, install the water pump pulley shield and secure.
  35. Fill the power steering system with the proper fluid.
  36. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  37. Run the engine and check for leaks and proper operation.

Whenever the vehicle sub-frame is removed or lowered, the wheel alignment should be checked.

1. Bleed the power steering system, if needed.

FIG : Fig. 4: Power rack and pinion steering gear assembly component identification

image

just trying to get the hose off the rack

ok

a good way to do this is to unbolt the rack and let it drop down just a little to gain access to the hose

thanks

you cant do that on this car

this is the only way,,,without stretching behind the engine and using a crows foot wrench with a long extension..you may also be able to remove the wheels and go through the fender well to gain access

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic