Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Mercury Marquis: with 87,000 miles..Her wipers began to turn…

My question is about my...
My question is about my sister-in-laws 2004 Mercury Marquis with 87,000 miles. Her wipers began to turn on all by themselves. Sometimes they change speed during one of these "happenings". Sometimes they stop after a while and everything returns to normal. She has recently had the fuse for the wipers removed to stop this problem. A trip to her Merc dealer and a $100 "electrical diagnosis" on the dealers computer was profound, reading: "needs wiper motor". $500.00 will be needed sez the dealer. Your opinion?
8/19/2010
Mercury Mechanic: lostrider, Ford Senior Master Technician replied 12 years ago
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hi this is lostrider, thank you for the question, I have seen this a few times on the Grand Marquis and the Crown Vic, and unfortunately the dealer is correct, the control module for the wiper motor on your car is part of the wiper motor assembly, it has a circuit board that shorts out and causes the concern your having, here is a wiring diagram for the system, and the only other component in the system is the wiper switch and thats just inputs to the module, when the switch goes bad it stays bad and wont come and go, The part has been upgraded to a 2006 part to repair the concern,hope this helps.

graphic

Parts Information
PartOEM PartPrice
Wiper Motor
Wiper Motor6W7Z17508AB$184.53

thanks for your help! can you give me a rough idea how many hrs labor to r&r the wiper motor?

Sure, the labor to replace the wiper motor is 1 hour at the current labor rate for your area.

LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Wiper Motor
ReplaceB1.0hrs

lostrider