Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mercury Sable: transmission was slipping..stopping..same problem…

Customer Question
I have a 1992 Ford...
I have a 1992 Ford Mercury Sable, for several months it has seemed the transmission was slipping when I try to start off after stopping. I had three people in my family tell me they think it is a pump in the transmission that needs work, I don't have a clue. From reading about other Sables online, some have the same problem. Now I can hardly ever get the thing to go in reverse. I talked with a mechanic shop owner, he said he would give me $150 for the junker. Can you please tell me what I need to do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercury
6/29/2010
Mercury Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Unfortunately the problem you are describing is more likely much more serious than just a failing pump, but most like a failing transmission and in most cases you are looking at a replacement and or a overhaul.

Customer:

One family member told me to try 'Lucas' trans fluid in it. Do you think that would make any difference. If not, do you have any idea how long I might be able to drive it since reverse has already stopped working. Also do you have any better ideas for selling it where it might bring more than $150 the mechanic offered me for it.

Ron :

It not likely going to do any good adding the Lucas but you have nothing to loose if you want to try it. It would be very hard to say how long you have , it could go at any time and it could run for a while. I would try placing it on craigs list in your area, you may be able to see it for your price. It sure wort trying.