Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 sable: egr valve..The check engine light came back on with a code…

Customer Question
we replaced the egr valve...
we replaced the egr valve and the egr sensor on my 2000 sable. The check engine light came back on with a code of p1401 egr vp snsor circuit high voltage detected. what do we replac now? I was also told to put cleaner, sea foam, in the gas tank. I dont know if that matters, but I did that also.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercury
6/29/2010
Mercury Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master replied 8 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master

Hi. Can I have the VIN number from your sable please? I would like to verify which engine is in your vehicle. Also, what type of test equipment do you have? scanner? test light? dvom? Usually a DPFE sensor sets that code. What was the original concern why you replaced egr valve?

Thanks, Eric

1mefm55s2ya602232. The original concern was the check engine light was on while trying to pass emissions testing in Nashville. I asked the mechanic and he said the test equipment was a dvom. I hope I answered your questions.

Ok. I ran the VIN number and found a Ford Technical Service Bulletin. It describes the DPFE sensor as the common cause for the code P1401. I will include a picture of the sensor. Let me know if this is the sensor that has been replaced, because it is the most likely culprit. If already replaced we'll need to check something else. The sensor is located in the rear of the engine behind the intake manifold I believe. Also make sure the connector is on good and tight, as this will also set a P1401. Also, the sensor may look slightly different but have the same connections to the egr tube.

Thanks

graphic

Eric, I will have to check with the mechanic, I am not sure if this is the sensor replaced, it looks like the one I bought. I will ask him about the one behind the manifold, if I need this, I will get on my way home tonight, I do not get off work until 6:00pm central time. I will let you know this evening. I printed your pictures and notes to take with me.

Ok. If it is the one you already replaced just make sure he checks the connector. THen we'll go from there.

Thanks

Eric, We replaced the last sensor you suggested and checked the connections. According to the mechanic who is putting these parts on for me, the same code appeared again. I now have another question for you, I just picked up the car tonight and quite ironically the check engine light is off. This light has not been off in 3 months. I have stopped and started the car several times this evening and it has stayed off. If this is true, do I still have to drive this car to go thru drive cycles to see if it stays off? And if it stays off, I assume I should have the code checked before I try to go thru emissions testing again. how is it possible for the check engine light to be off and codes be showing? And before you ask the battery has not been disconnected. I am sure you like to listen to crazy rambling, but this emissions thing will be the death of me. I see all these cars around me all day long with stuff pumping out of their exhaust and my car wont pass emissions.