Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

im trying to replace my front struts..slide it in

Im trying to replace my...
Im trying to replace my front struts and I have everything done but I cant get the stering knuckle in position. Everything I try isnt working. It seems like there isnt the clearence that i need to slide it in. what should I do
6/28/2010
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Hello, Are you having problems getting them to slide down in to the steering knuckle?

Ron :

The lower ball joint has to be disconnected fron the lower control arm, and the control arms pryed down. See the Ford instructions . Click here

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
See enclosed instructions.
that isthe area Im having trouble with. Im trying to reconnect the lower balljoint the hub with the strut in place but cant get the clearence to get everything lined up
Its a bit tricky but you have to pry up on the control arm.
would i be able to disconnect the three bolts from the lower control arm, insert the retaining bolt and try to reconnect the three bolts?
No I would do that, you would have it even harder, you need a helper to pry up on the control arm while you start the ball joint thru the hole and start the nut, they are a pain in the rear but do able.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

ok I will give it a try thanks.

Thank you as well.