Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

2005 Mercury Monterey: message center..dim..The local dealer..defect

Customer Question

The message center on my 2005 Mercury Monterey is so dim it can't be easily read. The local dealer gets a glazed look on their eyes when I ask them about this problem. Is this a defect that FMC should be looking into? There are several other internet inquiries about this problem.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  EMRSR replied 8 years ago.

Can I have your VIN # XXXXX how many miles are on it ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

VIN: 2MRDA22245BJO47

Mi: 101829

Expert:  EMRSR replied 8 years ago.

The VIN is 15 digits, I will check back after dinner. All 17 must be accurate.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
2MRDA22245BJO4776
Expert:  EMRSR replied 8 years ago.
No go, look thru the windshield and do not rely on paperwork.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
try a zero for the "O".................
Expert:  EMRSR replied 8 years ago.

Here is my result. You can also look in the door jam at the certification label.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it also shows: 2MRDA22245BJ04776..................
Expert:  EMRSR replied 8 years ago.
Thats it, there are no issues on record at this time and they likely won't do anything now. These vehicles are out of w warranty and with Ford announcing they are dropping the Mercury line this year, vendors dropped like flies when GM & Chrysler did not pay their bills, this is a trying time in the car business. There is a possibility that who ever made that message center is not even in business anymore, we are using more used and re manufactured parts than ever, new stuff in many cases is hard to come by.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 8 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well, this does not rectify my problem. If the message center goes completely dark, I wont be able to determine the odometer reading not to mention other safety messages. I do I get in touch with the right people at Ford Motor Company?
Expert:  EMRSR replied 8 years ago.

I am going to opt out here, I can not give you what you want on a 6 year old vehicle that is 65,000 miles out of warranty.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Different tech here, you need to go to your local ford dealer and order a new or refurbished instrument cluster. The message center inside the cluster is not a repairable part and this concern you have cant be fixed without new parts. This concern is not a current recall so it will not be a free repair. The reason its not fixable because the concern is within the LED screen and microprocessor circuit board.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Judging from the many net inquiries about this problem a person would think that FMC would replace this defective part. I am sure they are aware of the problem. I also understand that Ford Windstars also have the same problem. How does a person contact FMC to voice a complaint?

I double checked and there is no current recall for this concern. To contact ford you must call customer service at this number.

1-800-521-4140

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Mercury