Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Mercury Senior Master Technician
9600325

how do i unlock the gear shifter

how do i unlock the gear shifter?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

Could you describe your problem with a little more detail? Like what the problem is with the shifter and what year and model the vehicle is and whether it is an auto or manual transmission??

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its a 1994 mercury grand marquis ls...i cant shift the car out of park...we have tried all of the fuses and the brake lights are not working either...i took it to a shop today and they first told me it was too much transmission fluid....wrong...then they said it was the brake pedal switch and wanted me to buy it for $100.00...i didnt...i picked one up at the auto parts store and replaced it and nothing still....the car wont go into gear at all, its liked its locked in park...i read the owners manual, followed the steps, by using the parking brake and ignition key and still nothing. please help me...tina
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 years ago.

So if you move the key to the first detent ( not the run position ) it still won't come out of park? This position is like halfway between off and run.

Did anyone check fuse #7 in the interior fuse panel?

Did anyone check for power at the light green / red wire at the brake light switch

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes we checked fuse 7 and tried the key in the first position...what should the wire read? ground? nothing? or 12 volts? when the brake is not depressed...and what should it read when it is depressed?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 years ago.
The light green and red stripe should read 12 volts all the time regardless of pedal position. With the pedal depressed both the light green and red stripe and the light green should read 12 volts. The shifter should definitely be able to move in the first key position. Are you sure the steering wheel is not jammed against the stop? Make sure there is no pressure left or right from the steering wheel - it will keep the shifter from disengaging the override.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

my steering wheel doesnt lock anymore, hasnt for awhile so i know its not that...ok no power at all at the green wire with red stripe....checked both wires, no power...checked all fuses, all of them r running 12 volts...now what?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 years ago.
Most likely a broken wire up a ways from the switch connector. They usually break 6-8 inches up from the connector. Sometimes the wire breaks inside the insulation and you cant see it. I have also seen the wires break right at the terminal for the connector inside the insulation. You pretty much have to check for voltage on the green red as you move up along the wire. If no power then the wire passes through a connector behind the drivers kick panel. That would be the next place to check for power. This fuse also powers the emergency 4 way flashers, if they work then you know the wire is good coming from the fuse panel and must be broken between the switch and where it splices off to the 4 ways.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the 4 ways work the fuses show good...my son cant stay up any longer to do this, he has to get up for work...im distraught over this, and cant do it myself...the shop is a total rip off and i dont know what else to do...i guess he will continue to check the wire like you said, thanks for your time and help...Tina

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 years ago.
Ok good luck and let me know what he finds.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
[email protected] is my email...u can email me there so i can reply...thanks again...T
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 years ago.
Your welcome. We are not allowed to e-mail, your e-mail address is blocked. This is what I see [email protected] Everything has to happen through this thread.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well ok then, i didnt know that....ummm...here it is...tina no spaces new york football team(the green and white one) and im a girl at the Y...all one word....got it?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 years ago.
Still can't do it, I could get banned from the site....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok i didnt know that...i will pay u now, thanks for all ur help...have a good night...Tina
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 years ago.
Thanks you too. You can come back to the question anytime, even after you accept.