Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1995 Villager: Electrial system checks out fine..starter..alternator…

Customer Question
I have a 1995 Villager...
I have a 1995 Villager. Electrial system checks out fine. Battery, starter, alternator. It starts when cold, but after its warmed up it will not start until it cools off again. Any Ideas?
Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercury
6/13/2010
Mercury Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

is it a cranking or a starting problem what you are referring to

When the vehicle has been driven and shut off, there is no cranking or starting. Ignition switch, neutrual switch is good. The dash lights, headlights, horn, radio all work but it will not even try to crank or start after driving for a few miles.

After it cools off for a few hours it will start and run like new. I'm thinking it may be some simple thing like a circuit relay switch. What do you say?

hi, this problem seem to be temperature related and is affected by the expansion and contraction of metal and connectors cause by heat changes on metal. its possible to have a starter relay with bad connection at the time when this happens ,you can try removing and replacing the starter relay, for know and see what happens then sometimes there are other relays on the same box that are interchangeable and you may be able to switch temporarily.
Notes

The Ignition relay is located in the interior fuse panel on Villager applications [1]

[1] figure ref.(16)

The starter and starter relay check out great.. All of the fuses are ok. How do I know which relay to replace? And how can you check if a relay is bad? I'm sure it is a simple fix.

ok, there is an easy way to check if the starter is the problem or if the ignition switch,relay,or wiring, what you do is drive the vehicle untill you are able to duplicate the problem, ones is happining then turn the head lights on and turn the key to cranck see if the head lights will dim as if voltage was going low, this will confirm that the switch is ok wiring is ok, transmission safety switch is ok,and relay is ok. this will leave just the starter and wire signal to the starte, and then we can take it from there to see wish one is the problem.