Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1997 mercury: Moutineer I had everal bad wires indfferent place…

Customer Question
Hello I...
Hello I have een working my 1997 Merury Moutineer I had everal bad wires indfferent place. It ook sometime but I found the bad wires. I made repairs. I have on last issue. I had remove the RF winow regualtor and motor. The regultor was held in place with rivets. The egulator was attached to the window glass brackets with rivets. One of the brackets came loose from the glass. I can see a stain or mark on the glass where the bracket had been. That bracket was the rear one. I attached the front bracket with screws,ock washers and nut. That bracket was attached. My problem is I am not sure of the hardware to use. The front bracket seems to hit the screw head. The orginal rivets a beleive slide over the rivet head. Anther problem for me is the window gets jamed on the way up. I have i th past replace gm relators. And if I remember right I would push the window to the top. There were holes at the top to gain excess to the screws to tighen. The mercury holes are several inches below.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercury
6/12/2010
Mercury Mechanic: Matt Carey, Mecury Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Matt Carey
Matt Carey, Mecury Mechanic

Hi this is MATT. I'm not sure If I understand exactly. I actually just did a regulator on a taurus today. I used a rivet gun to reattach the glass to the regulator. You can use a bolt and nut as long as it is flush enough to not catch on anything.

Let me know, if I misunderstood you, thanks, MATT

Hey Matt I drilled out the two rivets that attach the regulator to the window. I have reattached the two pieces with screws and nuts with lock washers. The front slider seems to hit the front screw head. You used a rivets gun. The rivets are large. I have replaced exterior door handle. I went to Ford and got the rivets for the job. I could not find a rivet gun large enough to handle the rivets. I had to use screws. The rivets for the regulator seem about the same size The rivets I drilled out were a flush head. That would allow the slider to go over it. Sorry to be a pain but I have spent some time looking the this.

Okay , I think I understand what you mean. Yes , I have a large rivet gun, and Get the rivets from car quest auto parts. I can't remember where I got the gun, Probably one of the tool trucks, snap-on, mac, matco. If I was a work I could tell you the rivet size, can't remember.

Maybe you could find some bolts and nuts at a hardware store that will work. Ones with a flush head, so it won't hit/catch. MATT

OK I understand that. Where would you start to look for the flat head hardware? The two large holes toward the top of the door panel. One on the front and one towards the rear. Are these holes for access to add or remove hardware? Also does the regulator attach to the window tightly-not allowing movement between the to. Or does it float or have loose fitting to allow movement of the window

Yes, usually there are access holes to get to those rivets. I believe they mount tight, of course you don't want to break the glass, but I don't think the glass should move, once mounted to the regulator.

My rivet gun just fits into these holes, so I can rivet the glass to regulator. I am always afraid/ and careful doing this. Don't know why ford/ mercury designed these this way.

For hardware, I would try a hardware store, Ace, home depot, lowes, etc...

Unless you have an actual fastener store near you.

Do you have a car quest near you, you could ask them about a rivet gun and rivets.

let me know, MATT

Yes we have a Car Quest. I will check there. What type of sealant or glue can I use. One of my u-channel for the window gllass came loose.

I'm not sure, but I would ask CQ what they have for that. I'll post back, if I can find out. MATT