Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pull..eng..Ive checked all fuses

Customer Question
I'm not able to to...
I'm not able to to pull up Codes for eng on light. I've checked all fuses. any help would be great. 97 mercury sable
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercury
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2010
Mercury Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Does your cig lighter work , the Data Link Connector shares the same fuse as the Cig lighter.

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I've pulled and checked all the fuses

Ron :

If your lighter is working then you likely also have power to the Data link connector, have you tried a different scan tool? Most part store can retrive the codes and or codes for you at not cost to you.

Customer:

yes I have it was pep boys that told me that they were not able to get the code and to check the fuses

Customer:

I've been to other shops as well

Ron :

Is the check engine light on?

Customer:

a guy that had a snapon tester was at one tine able to pull up a code but I replaced the part and still had an eng l\ight on

Customer:

if I can pull up the code I can fix the problem

Ron :

There are 2 hot wires at the Connector you need to check and see if you have 12 volts on.

I have marked them , check them and let me know.

Full Size Image

Customer:

there was no pin in slot 11 and 16 was only putting out 8.5

Customer:

are you there?

Ron :

You are checking the wrong pins, you need pin #2 and pin #16 both need 12 volts.

Customer:

the first arrow is pointing to 11 I'll be right back

Ron :

Yep it was off a bit but you need #2

Customer:

now power on pin 2

Customer:

no power on #2

Ron :

OK that is why it will not test. I would go back and recheck all the fuses.You are likely missing.

Customer:

ok back in a few

Customer:

any ony that i should check

Customer:

any one that I should check

Customer:

power on or off?

Ron :

I am looking to find the source, it usually the cig lighter fuse. Give me a min to check

Ron :

You need to check the #25 fuse in the interior fuse panel with the key on.

Full Size Image

Customer:

I have checked every fuse that I could find under the hood to and they are all good

Ron :

Did you check the #25 in the interior fuse panel?

Customer:

yes its good

Customer:

what is the amp on that fuse?

Customer:

because it was not listed that way

Ron :

The is the power source for the #2 Pin and if the fuse is good, then you have an open circuit somewhere between the fuse and the connector. You may need to seek some professional help in locating this problem. The #25 is a 10 amp fuse.

Customer:

ok thanks anyway

Ron :

Your very welcome.

Customer:

is there any way to run a wire to avoid going thru the wire harness?

Ron :

Its not a good idea as it could cause damage to the PCM . I would advise against it.

Customer:

ok thanks

Ron :

your very welcome.