Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 cougar: manual transmission can this unit be lifted..engine bay…

Customer Question
hi in the uk here...
hi in the uk here i have a 1998 cougar 2.5 with a manual transmission can this unit be lifted from the engine bay as one unit or do i have to drop with subframe ? many thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercury
6/9/2010
Mercury Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician replied 8 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Is this a UK made vehicle or a american vehicle just in the UK?

the car is a uk right hand drive model believe tho they were built in usa looks like i have to take out the battery tray and remove the drive shafts

Since it was built in the US I can answer it in this current category. The transaxle needs to be dropped out the bottom of the car once the engine is supported and the subframe is removed. Removing the engine or trans out the top is near impossible and much easier out the bottom. Since it is a manual trans dont forget you need to push the trans about 4 inches away from the block to get the input shaft out of the flywheel and clutch and pressure plate so alot of side movement is needed to get it out.

Since it was built in the US I can answer it in this current category. The transaxle needs to be dropped out the bottom of the car once the engine is supported and the subframe is removed. Removing the engine or trans out the top is near impossible and much easier out the bottom. Since it is a manual trans dont forget you need to push the trans about 4 inches away from the block to get the input shaft out of the flywheel and clutch and pressure plate so alot of side movement is needed to get it out

If no additional help is needed, please accept so I can remove your name off my unfinished customer list.