Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A trace on everything that goes to fuse 5 and replaced sterning wheel…

Customer Question
auto mechanchanic has ran a...
auto mechanchanic has ran a trace on everything that goes to fuse 5 and replaced sterning wheel
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercury
6/8/2010
Mercury Mechanic: Matt Carey, Mecury Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Matt Carey
Matt Carey, Mecury Mechanic

HI this is MATT. Fuse 5 is a 15amp fuse in the instrument panel fuse block. I would start by unplugging one component at a time to see if the short goes away. Look at the diagram below, everything on that fuse is across the bottom. Can you remember having a problem with any of these components before the fuse blew. If none of the components are the problem, then it must be in the wiring to one of them.

It can be very time consuming to track down, but if you can think of any thing that could be related, it might speed things up. Any thing worked on , or any thing not working right.

Need more, let me know, MATTgraphic

have checked everything like you say except i turn dimmer switch off a month ago could this be the problem ....you answered my ? with the ? i sent you

I'm sorry If you feel I answered your question with a question, But I cannot assume anything. Just in case something was missed that was on that circuit. Are you checking this , or your mechanic? Plus I do have one more question. The steering wheel was replaced? Just the wheel?, or what? And why was it replaced? Was a problem found?

I'll do everything I can to help you. Are you sure he checked every component.

If it is not a shorted component, then it's a short in the wiring. I like to get a sealed beam headlight (like from a older chevy pick up,etc..). Connect two wires to it and then in place of the fuse , connect the other end of the two wires. The head light will light up because of the short to ground, instead of blowing the fuse. Then start wiggle testing the wiring. When you disrupt the short , the light will go out. Then you can look closer and find the problem. I hope this makes sense. It helps because you can put the light in a place where you can see it, and you don't go thru fuses.

As for the dimmer, I don't see it directly related, but if it's in the wiring you never know. what happened to the dimmer?

Sorry there is no simple answer, All I can do is help you diagnose the problem. Any thing I can do, let me know, MATT