Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1995 Mercury Tracer 1.9 ltr. / After several tries the

Customer Question
engine will start and run...
1995 Mercury Tracer 1.9 ltr. / After several tries the engine will start and run at high rpm for about fifteen seconds then act as if its choking out and after stumbling for several seconds stops running. While stumbling it has no throtle response. The fuel pump and fuel filter have been replaced, TPS, Idle control valve, Crack sensor, PCM, Ignition module, coil, plug wires and plugs, are all new. The cam sensor, MAP, MAF, and OX sensors have not been replaced. Not getting any codes off the old PCM or the new one. Also the ignition switch was replaced. What could my problem be?? Going nuts over this one. Prior to this problem the vehicle ran great. Oh the timing belt has also been replaced. Again the engine runs smooth when finally getting it started at high RPM until it acts as if its being choked out and stumbles and dies. Trying to start it again it just stumbles a few seconds and dies. Please help. Thank You......
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mercury
6/2/2010
Mercury Mechanic: scottz136, Mercury Technician replied 7 years ago
scottz136
scottz136, Mercury Technician

The MAF sensor is the most likely cause of the choking out affect,I recommend unplugging the electrical connector on the MAF and start the car to see if the running problem /choking out goes away.If it changes ,the MAF will likely need replacing.Also make sure that the air tube from the MAF sensor to the throttle body is secure and there are no openings.

The PCV valve or PCV hose may also cause the racing or fast idle speed if there are any leaks in the hose or valve port.

Just performed your suggestion. Engine would not start at all with MAF sensor unplugged. After plugging in the MAF sensor the engine started and stumbled about 45 Seconds before dying. Just to be sure I'm right, the MAF sensor is located on a alluminum sleeve between the air filter box and the snorkel to the throtle body, correct? There is another sensor mounted right on the air filter box.

Yes that is the MAF sensor in the sleeve .The other sensor is the intake air temp sensor.

That is unusual that it doesn't start with it unplugged.It still sounds like a faulty sensor.Without a scan tool to monitor the readings ,it will be difficult to pinpoint the fault.I recommend replacing the MAF if there are no other air or vacuum leaks in the air intake system.

scottz136
scottz136, Mercury Technician
I'll get a new MAFsensor and try that. I have an OTC upper grade Analyzer and I'm not getting any problem codes. Anyway I will get back to you if MAF doesn't cure the problem. I have made sure of vacuum leaks and already replaced bad hoses. Thank You
Ok.Keep me posted and I can continue to work with you on this.Thanks! Scott
scottz136
scottz136
scottz136, Mercury Technician