How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris (aka- Moose) Your Own Question
Chris (aka- Moose)
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Category: Mercury
Satisfied Customers: 48007
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
Type Your Mercury Question Here...
Chris (aka- Moose) is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1998 lincoln Mark VIII: I need a replacement ballast..neon..tail light

Customer Question

I need a replacement ballast for a 1998 lincoln Mark VIII neon tail light,Do you know where I can get one????

[email protected]
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.


Just so I make sure I am looking up the correct part for you where on the vehicle is this ballast mounted and which of the rear lights is it controlling, so far I am only coming up with front light ballast on a 98 mark 8

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The ballast is located on the rear center tail light it is a neon tube that goes accross the

entire length of the trunk between the rear stop lights,also it could be the bulb that is bad,how do you take the housing assembly appart????

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

I found the parts available at this web address.


Here is how to remove the lamp with ford directions which you download


Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The information you gave me was a dead end the ford dealer does NOT have the part.

The instructions to remove the tail light assy was not what I asked for. I asked "How Do You Remove The Bulb From The Housing.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Ford states you must replace the complete part since the bulb only is not serviceable or accessible. I dont have a 98 here to verify this for myself but by looking at the diagrams which is all I have it appears it does not come apart. When I called silver state they told me they could get the part, They must be getting it from a junkyard if its no longer an in stock part.