EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford
18136160

2006 Mercury Mariner: the rear panel trim that..liftgate..back door

I have a 2006 Mercury Mariner and the rear panel trim that covers the liftgate switch broke off when i tried to open the back door. It is the one with the lable on it door, glass. How do I get this fixed?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Are you talking about the exterior trim around the handle ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it is not the actual handle but the plastic exterior trim that goes over it.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
I can not find a good picture, I want to be sure that we are talking about the exterior plastic panel that goes the width of the hatch on the rear, push in on it in the middle and there is an air gap before it bottoms out on the shell of the hatch correct.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it is the exterior plastic panel and it broke off in the middle with the rest of the panel still attached and the door hatches (where you can open the glass or door) are now exposed. It does not go the whole length of the car but about 3/4 in the center of the rear door. It is the top piece that is directly under the Mercury Logo. It has the DOOR and GLASS with arrows and pictures of the truck with arrows. On the inside there is a number 3L84-78425A22-AAW and F-21769. It is Satellite Silver Color.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Ok, this piece is just below the lift handle for the glass correct. I found a picture, I do not have The Parts Dept. access on Saturday or we could do this much quicker, this piece you are talking about is held in place with a butyl sealer and usually replaced by the same companied that do glass replacement, some body shops will also do them. I can confirm this part number on Monday once I can get into the parts computer again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is just underneath the glass but covers the two handles (one opens the door and the other the glass), but think you are correct about what piece it is. It looks like it is sealed to the back door. If you can confirm the part number on Monday I can wait unitl then then figure out what to do. Thanks!
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Sure thing, I will come back to this post on Monday.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
I was right on here, this is urethaned sealed to the rear body, hatch assembly, sorry for the delay, snow here in Wi. AGAIN imagine that..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX when it snowed it Atlanta and it was so cold the hatch was frozen and wouldn't open! But how do I get it fixed? I need to see how I can get this piece or who to take it to so that they can put it on.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
It is a dealer only part, body part...A dealer with a Body Shop can do it or a full service glass shop. This is not a part you will get at Auto Zone. by the way still snowing here
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX just take it to the dealer then, I just didn't want to be charged an arm and a leg so was hoping I could get the part somewhere first. Thanks for your help and keep warm!!
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Thanks...just brought in another cart full of wood for Tuesday heat !