Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

our 2005 lincoln navigator has dead battery every morning and

our 2005 lincoln navigator has dead battery every morning and i leave everything off overnight. when i disconnect the negative battery cable it holds its charge just fine. what is known to commonly draw the battery down on this vehicle? Please help
Category: Mercury
Expert:  marcpod replied 7 years ago.
Welcome to just answer. Has anything been done to the vehicle or is there anything that may not be working properly?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
nothing has been done. over the last 5-6 days the back gate has twice failed to close. it would start to come down, then at a quarter of the way return up to fully opened position. i got it to close after 3 attempts.
Expert:  marcpod replied 7 years ago.

Has the light come on for that.That is a electronic gate correct.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, electronic gate, and no lights have come on. a friend thought that a body controller was drawing the battery, but i don't know what that really means.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
please help. 2005 lincoln navigator is draining battery overnight.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Hello Nav

I'm Chris, Thanks for allowing me to help you here on Just Answer.

You need to perform the ford battery drain test shown here, most often when we run this test we find a module like the instrument cluster or radio or junction box at fault but guessing at this point is not a fix till you do this test to determine which circuit it is.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just one more question, please. the current battery is a 2-3 yr old interstate battery rated at 600 CCA. I just aquired the vehicle from my late relative, who didnt drive it much, it has about 40K miles. Is is possible the battery isnt big enough for this vehicle ?? could it become damaged after being drawn down to far several times along with being just too small ??
A battery can be weakened if its continually at low voltage or if it has died quite a few times. 600 cca is good enough.
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Mercury