lostrider
lostrider, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  22 years on Fords,Lin,Merc
9493671

2000 lincoln town car signature: fuse box..power window..inop..compass

2000 lincoln towncar signature appears to have corrision in the fuse box area - windows placed down and later would not return to up position. Acted as though power window switches became inop - all 4 windows inop. Also radio would not turn on and compass did not turn on.

Pulled fuse #30 to check and it was o.k. - replaced fuse in panel and windows started to work.

Any ideas for cause and how do I repair?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider, like you stated above its probly a connection concern with the fuse and the fuse box, I have seen where some customers install a wire along the blade of a fuse to power some other accessory and that spreads the terminals in the fuse box creating a loose/poor connection for that circuit, but here's how I would approach the concern, Radio Shack has a spray can of electrical contact cleaner, remove the fuses from the fuse box, spray all the contacts in the panel, inspect to see if any terminals are spread apart a little too far, if so take a small screw driver and collapse the terminal a little, then reinstall all the fuses and reconnect the battery, and try all the accessories in the car to ensure all fuses installed correctly.here is a diagram for the fuse box, that way you can mark the fuses that the car uses to ensure proper placement. hope this helps.

graphicgraphic