rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

2000 mercury cougar: My alarm..keeps going..randomly..unlocked

Customer Question

My alarm on my 2000 mercury cougar just keeps going off randomly... while driving, sitting still, locked, unlocked... how can I fix this?? I took the fuse out for now, but that also makes the door locks not work and the keyless entry won't work that way.... What can I do?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Here's some steps for you to try with your alarm system, see attached PIC.

Thanks for your question and positive feedback,

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That isn't my main issue... I do not have a key pad on my car, I have a remote but the main issue is that my alarm just randomly goes off, horn sounds and lights blink. It just happens whenever it wants. When the car is locked, unlocked, while driving, etc. I want that issue resolved.... I took out the fuse to the alarm system just so it wouldn't go off but if I do that my remote doesn't work and my power locks don't either... But if the main issue is resolved this won't be a problem...
Thank you!
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 years ago.

Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sound like a defective alarm module then. Bi-directional testing with a scan tool can help us here.

Thanks again,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok... So how can I fix that? Is there a way to put my fuse back in so my auto locks work? Is there a wire I can cut temporarily until I can get that fixed???
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 years ago.

It's more complex than that, if you tried something like that, then another vehicle function can suffer. It really needs to be diagnosed as I said.

Thanks again,