Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

1997 Mercury Villager: dies..degrees..shops..it as the fuel pump relay

Our 1997 Mercury Villager dies when outside temps are above 85 degrees. After taking it to 3 shops and replacing the fuel pump and numerous repairs, a shop diagnosed it as the fuel pump relay getting hot and shutting down. Replaced the relay, and it appeared to be o.k. for remainder of the hot weather last year. Now the problem has resurfaced. I carry a spare relay and pop it in, but the car still needs about 20 minutes to cool off before it will run again. Any know fixes? Car has 180,000 miles and has been great otherwise. Replaced the timing belt at 115K miles.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i can help you with this.What motor is in this? Have you had the vehicle scanned for codes? How often is this diing it,everyday/ Tim
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's the 3.0 liter 6 cylinder - there is a check engine light that has been on for several years, I can run it to an Autozone to get the code - will take about an hour
Let me know, just reply to this question,tim
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
three codes present:
BBKnock sensor condition
BBEGR system fault
BBCylinder 5 misfire detected
Every once in a while while driving in cold to moderate weather it will falter, the check engine light flashes, and then goes off and normal operation resumes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
three codes present:
BBKnock sensor condition
BBEGR system fault
BBCylinder 5 misfire detected

the faltering with the check engine lite is goin o be the missfire on # XXXXX cylinder, this could be a plug, plugwire or injector problem. I dont thik it is related to the dying and nostart for 20 mins.You will ahve to run fuel pressure check on the vehicle when its dead. i suspect a bad fuel pump since the relay doesnt help when dead. Also.while it dead, can you hear the fuel pump in the tank running? The other codes foor the knock sensor and the egr will not be related to this problem.Tim
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I should have been more specific on the stalling symptoms - when it dies, it will turn over and start but runs very rough and if I put it in gear it dies about 2- 10 seconds later, knocking and sputtering as it dies. I'm not sure about the fuel pump running - not sure what it would sound like. part of the problem when I've had it in the shop is they can't get it to die - it's usually after driving for an hour or so in hot weather.One shop left it to idle on hot ashpalt for an hour and it still wouldn't produce the symptoms.
That sheds alittle lite on it.The egr code may have something to do with it. if the egr sticks open, then at an idle it is causing a magor vacuum leak. If it is intermittent. i dont suspect that the egr is bad, just carboned up. and once in a while it gets a chunk stuck in the pintle and doesnt allow it to seat, thus causing a vacuum leak and running ruff untill the chunk is cleared out and it reseats. you need to pull the egr vavke and throughly cleanit out inside with carb cleaner, and clean out the passages in the intake manifold. then reinstall.Tim