scottz136
scottz136, Mercury Technician
Experience:  senior master lincoln mercury tech.
13762030

MERCURY MARINER: WHEEL DRIVE..UNLOCK..BRAKE LIGHTS..SHIFTER

Customer Question

I HAVE A 05 MERCURY MARINERXXXXXAND HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT STICKING IN PARK AND NOT RELEASING SO I CAN SHIFT AND DRIVE. I SEE ON PAGE 182 ABOUT THE BRAKE SHIFT INTERLOCK AND NOW KNOW HOW TO UNLOCK AND GET OUT OF PARK BUT WHAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED    FUSE IS OK #32   BRAKE LIGHTS 3 ALL COME ON.    DO THE BRAKES NEED TO BE REPLACED OR IS THE SHIFTER MALFUNK DOWN BELOW AT THE TRANSMISSION ??
Category: Mercury
Expert:  scottz136 replied 8 years ago.
The problem may be in the shifter laver assembly. The interlock solenoid is part of the shifter.Here are some diagnostic steps that may help pinpoint the problem.

• The shift interlock system does not release or lock correctly
  • Brake pedal position (BPP) switch
  • Circuitry
  • Gearshift lever
  • Brake shift interlock module
  • Brake shift interlock relay
  • Ignition relay

Check fuse #4 in theunder dash fuse box. Then check for power at the red wire on the shifter with the key on and brake pedal pressed.If you have power here,the solenoid is bad and the shifter will need replacing.

graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

CAN I SEE THE RED WIRE FROM UNDER THE CAR, OR CAN I REMOVE THE CROME PLATE AROUND THE SHIFTER AND LOOK DOWN ON THE SHIFTER TO GET TO IT WITH A TESTER??

Expert:  scottz136 replied 8 years ago.
The red wire will be plugged into the shifter beneath the console. You will need to remove trim panel #2 in the previous picture.

Thanks for the accept! Please leave me + feedback as well,thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DIDN'T SEE A PHOTO OF THE TRIM PANEL #2 WOULD THAT BE IN THE OWNER BOOK
Expert:  scottz136 replied 8 years ago.

graphic

Here is the diagram ,#2 on the right.