Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1995 mercury sable: starter..car wont start..ok, car started..clicks…

Ijust replaced the starter on...
Ijust replaced the starter on my 1995 mercury sable and now the car won't start again. Battery is ok, car started as soon as I finished installing the starter. Went to move the car today and it just clicks. could something be smoking the starter.
12/14/2008
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Its not likely something id smoking the starter but I would be sure that all the connections are clean and tight as well as having the battery and charging system tested. The battery should load down to 10.8 volts and no lower. With the engine running you should see 14volts charging rate at the battery. If all this checks out ok then I would suspect you have a defective starter.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
charging system is good and the battery draws down to 11.8 volts. could a brand new starter be defective even after it worked perfectly the first time?
Yes it can, take a 12 volts test light and with a helper cranking on the key test for 12 volts at the stater. If you have 12 volts on the starter then its likely defective.
Actually got time to work on Sable and it turned out to be a simple battery to body ground connection. Battery and starter were fine.
Great gob and merry Xmas to you as well.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician