Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 S430. 70K miles. Bought in Florida. Now in NC. Soft…

Hello. 2004 S430. 70K...

Hello. 2004 S430. 70K miles. Bought in Florida. Now in NC. Soft assist doors work, except drivers. Central locking not working with either console switch or remote key fob. When I first bought the car the drivers door soft close did not work

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

The key fob is new from Mercedes dealer and will set the alarm when I hit lock button causing the mirrors to fold in.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S430 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will try. I have checked the yellow 20 AMP fuse beneath the rear passenger seat. And then put it back.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is no warning light if you don't buckle up. Perhaps another fuse(s) need replacement?

Answered in 1 day by:
8/7/2018
Walt-Mod
Walt-Mod, Moderator
Hello: I'm Walter, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still need assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel. Thank you! Walt~Moderator
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I'm still waiting Walter. Very disappointed it's taking so long. But thanks for reaching out. K
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello my name is Lou.
I am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions, Lou

so sorry on the delay

not sure why i did not see the question sooner I am looking over the info and will reply back with some as well

Lou

ok i see you checked the fuse

we need to check the fuse in location 62 to be sure that is where you checked?

if so we need to access the pump and probably replace it, we can check to see if there is corrosion in the connection, since this pump uses air it collects moisture which builds up corrosion in the connection

attached are the fuse location and the pump location

i can also suspect that your door closing assist element is busted or the air line to the door.

also the trunk might be too, those are the most common

let me know what else I can help with

Lou

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back. If you feel I have earned one, BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED, Thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Thanks Lou. I did check that fuse a couple of times and it is fine. I noticed when I pulled it out the soft close door assist stopped and when I put it back teh soft close worked again (on all doors but the driver which has never worked since buying teh car last year). Since the soft close door assist is working, doesn't it mean the PSE/pump is working? What's not working is the central locking whether by remote or by the console. Are there other fuses that can be checked? Is it possible for the PSE/pump to gradually weaken to the pint where there's enough vacuum for the soft close doors but not enough for central locking? Thanks, K
That is odd that the soft close would work but not the locks. I would access the pump and check connections for corrosion. But there are no other fuses just the one. Maybe you could have a massive leak as well for the locks and thats why they are not working. Either way lets access the pump and listen to it when locking and unlocking .
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician