Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My radiator bypass hose burst when car was hot and spewed…

Customer Question
Hello - My radiator...

Hello - My radiator bypass hose burst when car was hot and spewed radiator fluid over the entire engine bay. The car started running terribly as if on four or five cylinders - starts fine but as soon as accelerate it misses and some backfiring when take my foot off the accelerator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I took an air hose and blew every connector dry and that has not helped.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

1994 E30 Sportline

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

E320

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes I am fixing the car myself

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Then car is a 1994 Mercedes E320 Sportline
5/30/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 2 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Thank you.

So now the hose was replaced and coolant issue is gone, but we developed a misfire ,and u did blew the connector with air, do you have like CRC electrical contact cleaner to spray all connectors

how hot the car got and how long u driven on it hot ? did u blow a head gasket

is it building pressure in coolant jug ?

check engine light on

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW THE HOSE, IS IT # 4 ON DIAGRAM

The car heat index was between 80and 120 - I pulled over as soon as I noticed some steam coming from the engine - I was driving slowly at the time.
No head gasket blown - No water in oil!
Check engine light is not on>
Yes pressure is building in coolant jug.
No I have not used CRC electrical contact cleaner!
It is pointless viewing the drawing. The bypass hose has been replaced and new coolant put in and no leaks.

PRESSURE BUILDING IN JUG ,WE HAVE TO KNOW WHY BEFORE MOVING TO MISFIRE

DID YOU BLEED SYSTEM AFTER REPAIRS, THERMOSTAT CHECKED?

DOES IT BUILT PRESSURE QUICKLY OR UNTIL IT REACHES 1/2 ECT

FANS COME ON ,WHEN AC TURNS ON

if you all that was done and u still building pressure ,we need to know why

did they do a block head gasket test

is thermostat opening ?

is driveable , or backfires

plugs pulled and checked ,coils inspected at shop ?

by the way i ask for info to help you better and be accurate , i m not next to the car to see or touch it

The misfiring - running badly only started after the radiator fluid went all over my engine bay. Normal pressure build in the radiator reservoir - Nothing to bleed in the system - It is a radiator - just fill it up.
Yes thermostat is opening! All plugs pulled and checked.
It is drivable but runs badly.

not sure on this one, will opt out for other expert for you to assist further

Thank you
Well is anyone going to assist me? I have waited an additional 20 minutes now.
Mercedes Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
The most likely cause of this is going to be actually probably just your spark plug wires.What I'd like you to do is get like an old spray bottle filled with water and start the vehicle up and then missed the spark plug wires in a manner so that you really don't get the water anywhere else but them.If they're the problem you're going to get a much more severe misfire, and if spring down the wires doesn't do it then wait for a minute or two just to make sure that it doesn't start after and then I want you to spray the ignition coil.It's most likely going to be the plug wires or the coil if it were like the distributor cap or something I would suspect you would notice because it would have massive cracks in it probably but it's a possibility...The crankshaft position sensor is going to be the other main possibility and that's going to be bolted above the oil pan on the Block near where the engine and the transmission bolt together.
I'm sorry it took so long unfortunately there are some guys that run around here trying to answer German vehicle questions when they don't have a clue about how they function and when they do that it ends up knocking the customers post all the way to the bottom of the questions and it doesn't get seen and it's not always super easy to tell that they opted out of it either.I personally think that unless you have German car experience you should be answering German car questions because you're about to 10th person I've seen in 2 days that these guys have tried to give these generic answers to and it doesn't work out and all it does is make people mad.ASE certification is not a qualification to work on a BMW or Mercedes or even a VW. Completely inapplicable.
Anyway just so you know the way the site works is the website is taking your deposit but we're just contractors working from home or whatever on our cell phones or laptops and so if you don't end up hitting except I don't get paid any money at all so my goal is to help you fix your car but please remember after we get the vehicle fixed to return and take care of accepting otherwise they just keep your entire deposit and they don't give me anything and with this new membership thing they're trying out that's been happening far too often
I was getting agitated for I know more that the person answering - I have been working n my cars for 30 years. Ok All the coil packs and plug wires on the E320 are housed in the top of the valve cover - I took it off yesterday and the seal was good there was no moisture in there. I removed all plugs and replaced.
I'll make sure you get compensated Danny - Thanks
I have read a lot and I mean a lot of reports of significant wiring harness issues with 93 to 96 those with electronic fuel injection.