Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I get this chirping noise on a 2008 E63AMG when the engine…

Customer Question
I get this chirping...

I get this chirping noise on a 2008 E63AMG when the engine reaches operating temperature. It's not the belt because the car will do the same when the belt is removed once it warms up the engine is the 6.3l M156

Mechanic's Assistant: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?

The belt isn't acting up

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Mercedes?

E63AMG

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm not going to fix it. I changed the Oxygen sensor and the cam sensors and the belt

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The tensioner pulley was changed twice also

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Mercedes
5/29/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 20 days ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello my name is Lou.
I am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions, Lou

may i have your vin please

also is there a way you can create a youtube video of the noise and send me the link?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Here's the VIN number WDBUF77X68B234041
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I will send a video of the sound tomorrow morning. As I said previously, the car doesn't make this noise until the car reaches normal operating temperature. I was thinking perhaps it was the water pump or something but removing the belt eliminated that. Also, if I'm accelerating, or the engine is under load, you don't hear the noise, but if I accelerate to 30 and kind of coast as the things slow, you hear this tweeting/chirping noise. Once the car is at temperature, it'll make the noise constantly. Please be patient for the video.

ok thanks, ***** ***** no hurry on my end. we can chat here as long as needed no worries.

are there any check engine lights? the first thing i would assume is a vacuum leak of some sort, but i would like to hear it as well.

also if you pan from the front of the engine to the rear and side to side a mic or camera or phone are excellent at picking out noises and locating them , they seem to do well with cancelling noise.

Lou

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Will do. Also, there is a check engine light that has come on. I was also thinking the egr valve though there's no code for it. The code that returns from the check engine light is more generic than specific.

ok , that is good, it means that we might be on the right track.

what kind of scanner are you using? i can get most engine codes from a generic scanner but sometimes i need the oem fault code.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
iCarSoft Mercedes/Smart MB II https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-Mercedes-Sprinter-Professional-Diagnostic/dp/B015DNAMT2/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1527622008&sr=1-2&keywords=iCarSoft+Mercedes%2FSmart+MB+II&dpID=414YUIoW0hL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 19 days ago

ok yep i am very familiar with icarsoft, it will give you the proper codes, i recommend that scanner to a lot of people.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Here's a link to the sound. It appears to be coming from one of the fans. https://youtu.be/6KVsp_lfojk
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
When I step out to lunch, I'll retrieve the code for you as well. It seems.... "Very Generic"

sorry for delay, checking the video now

that totally sounds like a belt or bearing noise, was the belt off or on?

i would unplug the fan to see if it was the fan, it did seem pretty loud in front of the radiators.

unplug the fan and spin it by hand once everything is warm

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I'll look to see where the connection for the Fan is. Are there 2 fans or one? I ask because surely, when the car is initially turned up, you never hear the noise. It only begins once the temperature is around 80c or so, then it starts right away. This morning was difficult to fulfill because it was considerably cooler outside. I've also noticed, while driving if the engine temp goes to about 60c, you do not hear that noise. On a really hot day, it's rambunctiously outrageous. I'll get the code from the reader when I go out to lunch and I'll let you know when I've tried unplugging the fan after the engine is warmed up.

also what is the build date of your car? its on the door sticker on the drivers door

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician