Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mercedes mlThe 3rd brake light doesn't work nor does my rear…

Customer Question
Mercedes ml(###) ###-####The 3rd...

Mercedes ml(###) ###-####The 3rd brake light doesn't work nor does my rear hatch lock down and at the same time there's a drain on my battery because the interior lights stay on. I pull the fuse when I'm not using the vehicle so it will start again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

I've done everything possible including unwrapping all the wire harnesses around the hatch hinge. I don't have a manual.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Mercedes?

Ml 350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm fixing it myself. It all started when the locking hatch motor started buzzing and ran the battery down. I replaced the actuator twice, but that hasn't worked.

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Mercedes
5/27/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 28 days ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Did you replace the power actuator or did you replace the latch mechanism?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The entire mechanism for about $300.00.
does it latch when you manually latch it with a screwdriver? I think maybe when you adjusted the mechanism you got the rod too tight or didn't put the latch in the correct spot and it's permanently trying to open.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
It latches then I have to go through the back seat to unlatch it. I've adjusted the "rod" or striker a couple of times.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
When I lift the tailgate, there is no resistance to the "handle." It doesn't unlatch anything. Fuse #40 is good.
Then I would inspect the assembly there and see if maybe it's permanently in the open position because that would cause what you're describing.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I adjusted the striker forward and backward, left and right and used two new latch actuators. Could it be the lift gate control module?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The hatch is now shut and I don't have a message stating that the hatch is open. The motor did not come on to close it. The lights still stay on so I pulled the console lights fuse. The hatch will not open.