Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The alternator isn't charging the battery. The battery is…

Customer Question
The alternator isn't charging...

The alternator isn't charging the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

The battery is fairly new but it didn't happen until in had an alternate key made yesterday

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

E500 2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No a lock smith fixed the key I jumped it the car car started and died out as battery died

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The brake light and altnator light is showing on dash and they weren't before I had the key made

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Mercedes
5/27/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 29 days ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** alternate key will not cause charging system problems. If the battery light and brake light are on you will probably need to replace the alternator. I'd say the timing of the failure with the new key is purely coincidental.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok I will do so and let you know the outcome thank you as I was extremely confused

You're quite welcome.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok so I replaced the alternator and was under the impression the problem was fix only to discover a day later same problem accured altnator malfunction and battery died exact same outcome. I'm under the impression that the lock smith replaced the entire ignition is it possible that there a pinched wire ECT shorting out the alternator
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 27 days ago

If the entire ignition switch was replaced it is possible that the switch was not coded properly or there is a fault with the wiring. The locksmith will need to recheck the coding and scan the EIS for fault codes. He should also verify that he has all his proper power inputs to the EIS.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Technician stated there is no wa y that the key installation could affect the alternator so I'm back at square one I had the battery checked yesterday they said it was good with the new alternator it ran fo r about 2hrs any died but not completely just to where the car w not turn over
Can you tell me exactly what was done to the car?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I lost the key to the car so a locksmith came out made a new key car started everything worked then after driving about 20 minutes battery and altnator light is showing eventually car died out I assumed it came from the process of installation they insist it didn't do i proceed to change alternator which work for about some hours in which time I took the battery to be tested and it showed good but slightly low voltage no bad cell after the testing car drove about another hour and died out again I haven't done anything else yet
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 26 days ago

If it was just a key that was replaced and not the ignition switch I suspect you received a defective alternator.