Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My c 300 Mercedes doesn't start. I was checking the fuses…

Customer Question
My c 300 Mercedes...

My c 300 Mercedes doesn't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes I was checking the fuses box because the cigarette lighter didn't right after I tried to start it nothing completely dead but the radio work alarm works

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 300?

C300 2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing because I don't e en have power in the Obll port

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mercedes
I'm still waiting
5/27/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello my name is Lou.
I am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions, Lou

if a phone call comes across it is automated fyi,

but a good option

so starting with the obvious, did you make sure all the fuses were seated correctly and or installed it the right spots? can you send me a photo of the fuse box so i can confirm the positions of the fuses

next can you hear the steering wheel lock , can you hear it lock the steering wheel when removing the key and can you hear it unlock the steering wheel when inserting the key?

if not then the car needs towed to a dealer to have the steering column lock module replaced.

this cannot be dont outside of a dealer because its part of the antitheft system.

also we have had issues with the relays in this model powering up certain circuits so its best as well to turn the key on and see if all the fuses have power , POWER not just to check if they are blown THAT IS NOT THE SAME THING we need to make sure all fuses are powered up.

there are very few that should NOT have power.

also can you verify if the dash comes to life?

when you turn the key on? does it seem like the system recongnized the key and powers the dash and windows and what not? from your story i would guess no but i like to confirm.

your key could have been damaged in the meantime.

i know i am all across the board, but in this model there are MANY issues that will result in the same no start, no power situation.

i will not be online all day, but i noticed no one has attempted to help so i wanted to reach out.

i can check back with you later based on your responses.

Lou

Well here's the scenario. I cigarette lighter didn't work I open the fuse box to see if there's no blown fuse I shake them and I found nothing. After that I tried to start the car. It didn't want to start.
No the steering wheel didn't lock.
The car said take the key out of ignition
Ok so that fast huh, if you dont hear the steering wheel lock then that is the issue. Unless you have a second key to try. But this sounds like a HUGE coincidence and the steering lock is the issue
Ok so what the next thing. I don't have power in obll port.
When I look on line people that have similar problem it's a esl failure
Before that I used to have a sort of delay when starting my car. About 1 second.
you want to look online or take the word of a mercedes tech. The esl is the electronic steering lock.
If you had a second key that would help verify. Do you have a second key?
But the obd port bot powering up can be a result of a relay as well cause we had relay issues as well.
But if the dash does not come to life then the esl is not telling the eis that its unlocked so its not gonna power up the car .
I have to go for now but i will check back later
The obll Gove power but run the scanner properly. Where should I start

sorry for my delay

so i asked if you have more than 1 key ?

and have you tried both?

No I have only one key, I checked the fuse everything is fine. I activate the alarm when I put the key in the ignition it turn off the alarm.

ok, so the ignition switch is recognizing the key, the issue then has to be the steering lock.

that is my answer

the steering lock is the issue.

Lou

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back. If you feel I have earned one, BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED, Thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Ok good I will do it. So now what do you think. Buy a new one or just buy an emulator. And ca you send me a picture of it so I can be sure.

all the links i sent are how to replace.

the emulator will work however you need a mercedes scan tool to start it up.

Ok good let me u and add u as.my favorite mechanic

appreciate it,.

another thing that tells me the eis is fine is if the car can lock and unlock that means that the eis is processing the signal from the key.

let me know if you need anything else

Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Nothing yet
Definitely my problem is the steering lock module right?

if you insert the key and the steering wheel does not unlock and relock when the key is removed. and the car does not power up when turning the keys on and the locks work that does lead me to a steering lock .

so i always advise in situations like these to get it accurately diagnosed with a mercedes scan tool but its up to you what you want to do. obviuosly with me not near the car there can be a million unseen things that an happen, but from the info i have i can say the issue is with the steering lock or power to it or a wire from it but something with the steering lock.

so for what its worth.

Lou