Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Bearing noise when driving roughly 25-30 mph. changes pitch…

Customer Question
Bearing noise when driving...

Bearing noise when driving roughly 25-30 mph. changes pitch when you accelerate lightly and let off the gas to coast. Noise is normally louder in the morning when cold. Noise seems to go away, but not completely when shifted into neutral. Brakes (pads and rotors are new oem) the front differential was rebuilt, noise still there. Passenger front wheel bearing has been replaced. All shocks and front lower control arms are also new and oem. From the drivers seat sounds like its coming from the front. From the passenger seat, sounds like its coming from the back. Has three mercedes specialist look at it. All wrong since the front diff was rebuilt and noise is still there. Vehicle stability control doesn't completely shut off when in the air to diagnose the noise.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the rotors? How many miles are on the car?

2006 Ml350 with 127K. Nearly everything has been replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ML350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Private shop has been doing repairs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have an early made 06 Ml350 (production number 968) with 127K. In 7 years of ownership it's gone through the following. Basic maintenance, pads/rotors, oil changes, drive line fluids, air and cabin filters, wipers, exterior bulbs, tires and alignments. The more expensive things.. 1 front wheel bearing, all engine mounts, all trans mounts, both front lower control arms, front sway bar bushings, all 4 shocks, one rear ball joint, all 4 brake hoses, front differential rebuild, new intake manifold, 6 new coil packs and plugs, one ABS sensor, 3 door locks, replaced the shiftier because it broke, new A/C compressor, 2 new power steering pumps, a few drive belts, some engine pulleys, transmission conductor plate and 3 trans services, one new air pump, main battery with the smaller battery, one key fob, windshield twice, interior blower motor once

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercedes
4/1/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the noise is throttle sensitive and nearly goes away in neutral then it's almost surely coming from a differential. It would be best to use Chassis Ears or something similar to determine exactly where the noise is coming from and go from there. If it's bearing noise it could be coming from a differential or it could possibly be carrier bearing noise. If it's a whine rather than a bearing growl then it's most likely due to an incorrect contact pattern between ring and pinion gears. The problem may actually be in the rear differential or the front may not have been set up correctly and still making noise.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.