Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 w211 with a radio problem. I was checking some…

Customer Question
I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 w211 with a radio problem. I was checking some fuses by removing and replacing them while the ignition was on and the radio playing. When i finished i discovered that the instrument cluster was black (replaced it afterwards and is working fine now) and the radio would shut off after 20 minutes after giving a 3 minute warning to start the car. This happens even if the car is running so it seems to be only working in the mode that you can use to listen to the radio w ignition off. Cd player in head unit works but main one does not open or come on ever. Controls on steering don't work ever either and nav display lights up but does not change position always thinking its in our yard. Nav and Radio display in instrument cluster just show dashes. Swapped out a head unit from another 2007 w211 with no change. ii know what I did was dumb but any ideas on fixing it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes checked 6 and 26 as well as 28 all ok

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Mercedes?

E 350 gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix it. i can get another to swap out parts. Checked fuses for radio (6 and 28), cd (26). Changed head units w another car no help

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercedes
3/30/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Seems like you already realize that you made a mistake but I'm going to clarify why what you did is a mistake because it'll help you understand what's probably wrong.You don't ever want to remove fuses on a modern vehicle to try to diagnose the problem whether the vehicle ignition is on or not, one reason is because generally nearly everything is controlled by a control module and so you almost never going to be able to pull a fuse that only runs one component in order to isolate it.The other reason is because when you pull fuses it causes the control modules to shut down randomly and the control modules need to enter their shutdown sequence based on the other control modules in the vehicle communicating together to tell each other that it's time to shut down over the can bus which is a high speed communications bus that the control modules used to communicate with each other and a pass sensor values and signals to each other with.When the models don't shut down in the correct order they lose they're synchronization with each other and they will stop passing values to each other properly and that will cause battery drains, inoperable systems, fault codes that can't be cleared without a scan tool that is professional quality, it can also cause voltage spikes and ruined modules.What you need to do in this situation is called a capacitive discharge. You remove the negative battery cable from the battery and then touch it to the positive battery cable for 20 to 30 minutes to drain the capacitors in the modules which will shut them all down completely. You don't have to remove the positive battery cable from the positive battery post, but it makes a lot of people feel better about it because it scares them they're going to short the system out.Remove the negative cable first and if you remove the positive cable then remove it last and then connect them together using an extension or screwdriver for 20 to 30 minutes. Then reconnect the positive cable first and then the negative cable and check system operation.Basically your radio isn't functioning properly because it's not being told over the can bus that the vehicle is running or on so it's just shutting off. Just some people just doesn't make sense because they think that the radio just gets a 12-volt signal from the ignition switch and that's how it knows to turn on.The way that actually functions is that the radio on the car always has battery power and then the way it knows to turn on we're stay on is the can bus network gets a wake-up signal sent over it when you start the vehicle.This is basically your only shot at getting the system to function properly without having a professional quality scan tool to reset the system, and there's a possibility that you could have actually cause a voltage spike that destroyed one of the models and that is jamming the can bus and causing the issue.So if it doesn't fix it you'll need to find a Mercedes specialist to interrogate the system and attempt to clear the faults in the Gateway module which controls the can bus.If I ever answer your question of satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name as that's the only way I get paid.If you need further assistance please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask even after accepting.
tried the battery thing - no luck. Went to a shop that had a Chinese scan tool that can be set for mercedes only. The only 2 codes that came up were 930E (synchronization of dtc memory not ensured) and U100814 (bus 1 faulty short circuit). I couldn't find anything on either. no other codes.The radio doesn't know that the car is running and only works in the auxiliary mode. Could it be that the agw is bad? Does the radio still work in auxiliary mode if agw not working?. I may be able to get another 2007 w211 to swap out units. Would it make sense to check power to each unit of the system and use a fiber optic loop to check if units are talking to each other. If so what units should i check first.thanks for your help.