Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1997 SL600 that cranks, but doesn't run. If I fuel…

Customer Question
I have a 1997...

I have a 1997 SL600 that cranks, but doesn't run. If I squirt fuel ipast the throttle bodies, the car starts and run for about 10 seconds. I suspect that DAS is interfering with the start function. I replaced the transponder ring to no avail.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Oh yes. There is plenty of fuel and fuel pressure in the fuel rail.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL600 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just the overall diagnostics that the engine has fuel and spark, but the injectors aren't firing, so I figured DAS.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all for now, unless he wants some more info.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician replied 3 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang, Master Benz Tech.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

1. I do need the vin # to get the factory information to assist.
  2. Did you have a scan test of all modules?
  3. did you inspect the engine wiring harness for breaks and chaffs?

Thanks

WDBFA76F1VF147331
The car is at an independent MB mechanic that I have frequented in the past. This issue arose after I pulled the dash to change out a leaky evaporator. The car ran perfectly after replacing the evaporator last Saturday and then wouldn't start on Sunday. I only send the car out for service for things that I can't do myself like recharging the AC system. They have the MB scanning software to interface with the car's various systems (not just the OBDII port, which I have for check engine light stuff, but MB Star). The techs are looking for communication issues between the DAS module and the EMC, but haven't reported anything yet. The 1997 model year isn't one of the troublesome years for the biodegradable wiring, but to answer your question; I didn't notice any degraded wires or wire bundles. Everything still looks factory fresh and intact.

here what is puzzling is that it would run 10 seconds and then stall. if you keep spraying fuel in the throttle body does it keep running?

it would keep running. I believe the DAS (Drive Authorization Service) isn't authorizing the EMU to run the car by preventing the injectors from firing. I have run a meter to one of the injector connections and it does get power, but it never sees the intermittent ground flutter that would causes it to fire.

ok does the central locking pump work with the remote?

the pump runs when needed and the doors and various locks lock and unlock when commanded.

do you have the other key to see if there is a difference?

I have two fob flip keys and one valet, none work.