Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My check engine light is on and I had taken my Mercedes C280…

My check engine light...

My check engine light is on and I had taken my Mercedes C280 (2006) to see why the light was on. At that time they said it was the camshaft (I believe) and that the engine would need to be taken out to fix the problem. I heard Mercedes knew about this problem so is there any way to get compensated for this costly repair (its going to cost about 6800 to fix)

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on-in occasion it blinks but only for less than a minute before it stays on again

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your C280?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C280 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not going to fix it myself i have to get it fixed in order for it to pass inspection in Virginia

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i think that is all thank you

3/28/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Master tech

Hi im kevin im assuming you have the usual balance shaft issue .this is a very common and well known failure on these engines which are fitted in just about every model of mercedes .the first this you will need to do is get the car diagnosed at mercedes dealer once they have confrimed that the bancer shaft is worn and is the cause of your issue .you can then try and get them to contribute towards repair costs.how much the contribute varies on a car to car case and the history,milage of vehicle.but i have seen alot of cases where the dealer has paid a large precentage of repair

ok I will take to a Mercedes dealer for diagnostic and see about covering repair costs-what would happen if I took it to a non-dealer? I have a trusted car repair shop I go to

If you take it to a non dealer for repair its very unlikely that mercedes will contribute to repair costs in my experience .please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Kevin
Kevin, Master tech