Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I perhaps just read the answer. The radio in my GL450 works…

Customer Question
I perhaps just read...

I perhaps just read the answer. The radio in my GL450 works on Navigation, phone and all other features except for radio. It's saying device unavailable.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

Factory radio

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2009 GL450

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything yet. I'm hoping it's something simple as the closest Mercedes dealer is aprox 80 miles away

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercedes
3/28/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Was anything done on your vehicle before this issue occurred that may have caused this fault?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Not that I am aware of.

This usually occurs when there is a fault in the radio itself.I have seen several of these radios fail/act up internally causing this issue here with the radio itself needing to be replaced.

What you can try and do is reset it.Locate the fuses for it and pull them for about 5 minutes or disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes and see if it resets and operates then as this sometimes works.

If this does not work unfortunately you will need to have either a dealers SDS machine plugged into your vehicle to read all computers especially the radio to see what codes are set.This will help to identify if the radio itself needs to be replaced.

When the radio is replaced it has to be programmed and this can only be done by a dealer as they have access to Mercedes programming to complete this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete