Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

In the summer my check engine light started going off

Hi Paul In the...

Hi Paul In the summer my check engine light started going off randomly. I took the car to a mechanic that I was referred to. He said nothing was wrong with my engine - it was the censor. But he could not fix that - he was not familiar enough with MBs.At some point the Check Engine light just stayed on - it was no longer random. I was not worried bc I thought it was the censor. But bc my car is up for annual inspection in March I needed to get the censor fixed. I took car to European Repair shop on Everrett Rd. - they said it is not censor - diagnostic codes show 1200, 1208, P0017.Attached is the estimate from the car repair shop.
Is this worth fixing? Estimate would be $3500 - $5,000. (but could be more bc you don't know what you find when you take things apart)
Car is a 2007 - with under - 79,000 milesMechanic said all Mercedes from 2005-2013 will get this issue at some point bc of where the parts are -
you have to take entire engine out to repair things. He also said the issue is caused by not enough lubrication - need to oil change every 3,000. But MB service told me you only need to change synthetic oil every 10,000 -12,000 miles.The mechanic said they only say that to ensure you buy a new car early. He said as an antidote there used to be tons of old MBs on the road - now not so much - bc cars can no longer get old. You can't keep them running without big repair bills.The mechanic said is a low risk of the car exhaust seizing the engine at some point in the future if I did not fix.He said he could fix CHECK ENGINE light so it passes inspection and then I could sell car bc it is a convertible and since summer is coming and car is in good shape - it would be ez to sell. I said but I would have to tell the person about the issue - and he said NO you don't. Why would you?.So that made me question is integrity and his honestly. He told me no one is honest. (He is Russian) I would NEVER do that to someone.I drive less than 8,000 miles a year. I could have the mechanic fix light to pass inspection, get an oil change immediately and then change every 3,000 miles to keep it lubricated and play it by year for 1/2 years . But I don't know if I would feel comfortable driving around - , although mechanic said WHY NOT? Also Noah (Rob's son - who has a 1995 BMW - and he rebuilt the engine himself - said there is NO need to change the oil so frequently at all.)I could trade in as is and lease through Girl On The Go - since I do not put a lot of miles on my car - my lease would not be expensive. Cost of car, + reg maintenance (brakes, tires, spark plugs) has run less than $600 a month.If I have to put in a ton of money not sure car is worth keeping. If Benny thinks I should fix - and I could drive it safely to NJ - I would totally have him fix it - .Just so confused - just want an honest point of view.
Thanks
Sheril

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Oops did not meean to give you so much info.. I was trying to cut/paste from a previous email to a friend and send that. Apologies for all the extra details and drama

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2007 - sLK 78,750 miles on it. I've had it since 36,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 750 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Am I fixing a 750? what does that mean?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No - I think I wrote too much - -;o) just want to know how often to change oil, if I don't fix will I ruin the engine -

3/27/2018
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

The codes you have here are due to a fault with the timing chain balance shaft.It was a common issue and unfortunately, it is a large repair that can cost several thousand dollars to replace.That part is right.

As for the oil change.As long as your using the correct oil that your vehicle calls for then it is only needed when the service comes up to let you know it is due.Some customers change it out every 5000 miles but it isn't needed until your vehicle tells you to have it replaced.It will not affect how long the engine lasts as it is designed to last this long between oil changes.

You can sell the car easily in the summer with it being convertible as allot of people like the convertible vehicles.You would want to tell the person buying it about the issue this way they don't get upset when the find out later on and try and take you to court on it.You don't have to tell them but I advise that you do.

The repair will correct the issue for a long time.It was a defect in the engine from Mercedes that causes the codes to set and once repaired it will run a long time and would be o.k. to keep for as long as you wanted from there.

If it were mine and if I had the money to repair it and if the rest of the vehicle is in good shape I would repair it and keep it and only service it when the message comes up telling you to have it serviced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
hi Paul
thanks for the info. If I don't spend the money to repair - can I get another 10,000 from the car as is?
What is my risk? I've been changing the oil every 7-8,000 miles at the dealer bc that is when I bring it in for inspection. So it seems that that is ok to continue doing. The MB mechanic I just saw -said I did not drive long enough to get oil hot enought and parts are being not lubricated. (My trips are generally under 10 miles mostly) Does that make sense?

I would repair it.When that gear starts to wear it can cause the timing chain to slip which can result in major damage to the engine where it would then cost over $10k to have the engine replaced.So if it were me I would have the repair done.

It is not that the parts are wearing due to not driving enough as they get plenty of lubricants even running for just a few minutes.It is that the design on the balance shaft gear was faulty and causes premature wear.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
wow - so if I it trade in - what is the best MB to purchase that does not have design issues?
I have loved having this car for the 6 years but I live upstate NYS I should probably have a car I can drive in the snow. ;o)
What do you recommend for a trade in that has very little maintenance issues?

Well, they will all have their own issues.I would stay away from the 2006 to 2008 models as by then it won't have this issue your seeing here.Anything above 2009 and up should be o.k.They all have their own little quirks but nothing as major as this here.It was the 2006 to 2008 I believe that had this major fault with the 272 and 273 engines.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Pete it seems that you do not think this is the beginning of the end. Correct?
If I do not trade in and I fix the issue - you do not think a whole host of other issues will start to occur.Body wise the car looks new - it is Casbeian Blue - so pretty!!!! I do not do all the A and B services bc it gets too expensive at dealer. I have just been doing what is needed when the car needs it.
From what I am getting you vote to fix, keep and drive till 100,000??

No, I think it will be o.k. once this issue is repaired.That is the biggest issue that you would probably see.You will still have normal wear and tear just like any other model vehicle but this should be the only major repair I can forsee from here.

The vehicle will run up to 300,000 miles in allot of cases if well maintained.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
hi pete
I think have 2 follow up questions left - - breifly
ok is there any way to know, any test that can be done, to see how long I have to drive the car before its too late and the engine ceases?
Someone was telling me he knew of a guy with same issue and he ignored the problem just drove the car and Boom motor broke and car was worthless. But while I am trying to decided to fix or trade in - I am driving the car but now very concerned causing damage beyond repair. one more question - what else typically breaks around 80,000 or 90,000 miles ?
Thank you very much
Sheril

I don't recommend driving it like this here as it can cause the timing chain to slip which will cause catastrophic damage to the engine.The only way to check how bad it is and if you have time to drive it is if you have the front timing cover removed to inspect it.

Ball joint and shock failure can occur around this mileage as well as sway bar links.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic