Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 2001 E320 and codes po170 and 173 keep coming on.

Good Afternoon Pearl....

Good Afternoon Pearl. This is Barbara. I have an 2001 E320 and codes po170 and 173 keep coming on. I had both parts change regarding 170 and 173

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

PO 170 and PO 173

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No a mechanic. He changed fuel trim and something else but i dont remember

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Pearl, i just called mechanic to get the name of the other part but he was not in. No, nothing else

3/27/2018
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi Barbara, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If it was not the mass air flow sensor that was replaced this is the most common sensor that causes these codes here as well as making sure it is installed properly and making sure the wiring running to the sensor is not damaged.

If it was the sensor that was replaced and the mechanic knows for sure it is installed properly and all wiring is o.k. make sure the mechanic did a fuel trim reset/relearn.This has to be done when the sensor is replaced so the computer resets the way it reads the value and operates.

If this was done as well then the engine needs to be checked over for any vacuum leaks.If any vacuum leaks are visibly found they will need to be repaired.If no leaks are found then a smoke machine may be needed to inject smoke into the intake to locate any hard to see leaks like the intake gaskets leaking.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hi Pete! I truly THANK YOU for your timely response. You are my ANGLE!! I want to go back to the mechanic with knowledge about what he is doing. The mechanic did change the air mass flow and the fuel trim. Again, I THANK YOU!! ��

You're welcome

If you need anything else here let me know anytime.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic