Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2005 SLK 350 battery is totally dead and the car is

Customer Question
My 2005 SLK 350...

My 2005 SLK 350 battery is totally dead and the car is locked. The manual key does not open the door how do I get access to the battery to replace

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I can't get into the vehicle as it is locked and the fobs nor the manual key will open the door so I can unlatch the hood to get to the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Mercedes?

SLK350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SLK350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I call AAA and they could not gain access to the vehicle either. I need to know if I have to have it towed to a MB dealership or call a locksmith or if there is some trick to get the vehicle unlocked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercedes
3/26/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

A flat battery means you can't get the deadlock or alarm system to release its grip

As you can't get into the car/ boot the other way to do this is jack the car up so you can get under the front.

Locate the starter motor and the large power cable that runs to it - connect the positive battery charger lead to this terminal

then connect the charger negative lead to the metal of the engine block

This should complete the charging circuit and get some power into the battery allowing you into the car

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt