Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1986 190e the rev goes straight to 2000 rpms when…

Customer Question
Hello..i have a 1986...

Hello..i have a 1986 190e the rev goes straight to 2000 rpms when the engine is cold then upto 3000 when it heats up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No the issue is as if it is letting in more air than it should. how can i check the Idle air control valve?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 190E yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I have removed the Idle air control valve, replaced it with another one. when the engine ran for few minutes i reved it up and the idling fell to normal of about 900 rpms. then when i went for a drive it just went up again to 3000 and has staid that way since.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 day by:
3/27/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago
eric remington

SINCE ITS A 96 YOU CAN SCAN THE COMPUTER FOR ANY CODES AT THE OBD PORT IF YOU DONT HAVE A SCANNER/CODE READER YOU CAN GO TO AUTOZONE AND THEY WILL CK IT FREE FRO YOU JUST LET ME KNOW THE CODE AND DONT L ET THEM GUESS FOR YOU BECAUSE THEY ARENT MECHANICS

Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

MAKE SURE THROTTLE LINKAGE IS FREE NOT BINDING AND THERE ARE NO VACUUM LEAKS

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi its an 86 as stated above so there is no computer.
Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

OH IM SORRY MY EYESIGHT I APOLOGIZE

Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

OK THERE IS A WAY TO CHECK..IS THIS A US MODEL? IF SO PROVIDE VIN NUMBER AND I WILL SEE ABOUT GETTING YOU A WAY TO CHECK THAT

Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

THERE IS A COMPUTER IT JUST IS LIMITED IN WHAT IT CAN DO

Mercedes Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

FUEL INJECOTRS ARE COMMANDED ELECTRONICALLY VIA THE COMPUTER

MB Paul
MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician