Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car drives but red battery shows up and I can’t turn the…

Car drives but red...

Car drives but red battery shows up and I can’t turn the steering wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

Didn’t Check the power steering fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2003 E320

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing just got it home and parked it.

3/25/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd 1st check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

Also check then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox ground strap.

and there should also be a ground wire that runs out of the engine bay wiring loom and is terminated onto the engine with a ring terminal

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I’ll try your suggestions, also it read electrical consumers switch off then displayed a battery in red.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My husband has left for work and I don’t have a clue where anything is, so I’ll have to wait.

No problem

just get back to me on here

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It turn out to be a couple of belts.
Matt, Engineer