Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Well Lou we'll see how good you are, all kidding aside it's…

Well Lou we'll see how...
Well Lou we'll see how good you are, all kidding aside it's really a matter of you being able to deceive-fer the wording for my question regarding of the worksheet you sent me the other day
about my question, how to reset the service maintenance controls after an oil change. After owning many MB's I already know they make great cars but their command of the English Language is just awful, my dog is a better writer then their technical manual writer, here goes.
After reading how to reset the service indicator after an oil change I still don't know where and what buttons need to be pressed, so this is how far I've gotten.
They state, "Bring up Workshop level on instrument cluster" what does that mean in English, I believe they want you to press button number 2 or 3 or both and do they want the buttons pushed, but in what order, and how many times I don't know. Do they want you in the area with the mileage and odometer in it, the area next to it where the tire pressure grouping containing "Assyst Plus"readout is or where and to go along with that, do they want the ignition off, pressed on once or twice without starting the car of course. I assume position number 2 as it says that, so I take that to mean press the ignition one time and move the buttons to get the readout to a certain area and then press it again (position #2) without starting it. Then they want you in that display readout, after which they want you to choose
"Assyst Plus" and then choose "Full Service" and then choose "Full Service" and then they wrote "Conform Service" although I think they meant "Confirm Service". Then choose Oil Service (type: 229.5) Finally choose "Confirm service carried out" as this cannot be undone.
After making your choice of Fully Done the operation is now complete and you're done.
I find the biggest obstacle is the very first operation they call, "Bring up workshop level on instrument cluster and where the ignition should be. So, I am now calling upon you to walk me thru this so I can finish the job. A response within 24 hours is sufficient as it is now night time and I don't work in the dark. Let me be clear about yesterday in case you had any misunderstanding, I wasn't be critical of your work, since I've never worked with you except for once before when I had an Audi 2016 A6 I had no idea of your work abilities, so in my opinion this is a fair test to see if you're as good as you say you are. Imagine if you had an appointment with your Dr and some other Dr showed up to assist you, you'd be upset to say the least, I know this to be true as I've seen it with my own eyes and the converse as well.
You go to see your Dr who went to Harvard Medical school and he's no better than some yahoo who went to medical school in the Philippines, it happens everyday of the week.
My point is, don't take it personally as I have confidence in your abilities and I await your reply.
3/25/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello and thank you for requesting me . I do appreciate you giving me the chance to help again and fully understand your stance. No offense taken. :)
I will do my best to translate mercedes info which i know is lackluster to say the least , into normal working man instructions. Understand you wont be doing anything tonight so i appreciate the time frame given. Have a good night, no need to reply tonight unless you want to convey any more info or what not . Lou
Alright and here we go.
In short we simply need to start the process on the basic home screen i call it which is the trip/odometer screen.
Once there we can start the process so turn the key on and do what you need to , to get to that screen. Essentially go to the trip menu and make sure were on the odometer.
Starting with the ignition off and all doors and hood closed, press the ignition button once to turn on position 1, then press and hold the back button with your left index finger and after a brief moment press the touchpad with the other index finger of your right hand and the workshop menu should show up. This can take some practice because there is a short delay in time between pressing the back button and the touchpad. And i say use each finger from each hand as trying to be tricky and use 2 fingers from one hand is not ideal. So let me know if this gets your there. I tried to look for a video to show you but one has not been posted with a 2018 and the touchpad. Looks like i will have to make one myself :)
Let me know how you make out or if you are still having trouble. Again i will do what it takes to get you taken care of. Lou
I will try to use your method tomorrow as I am guessing you’re in CA and I’m in NJ so I’ll be back to you tomorrow around noon your time. Regards,
Barry R.
I am in central illinois. I will do my best to respond to you tomorrow in a timeley manner, the family and I are headed to tennessee for the week. So if i dont get back right away it is because i am driving and will respond as soon as i can. Have a good night .
Lou
Oh that’s right, tomorrow is Sunday. We’ll Pick it up on Monday around 11am your time, ok with you?
Barry
Sure , tomorrow is fine as well since we dont both have to be online same time . But whatever is convenient for you . Not a problem.
Lou
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hi Lou:
Marty just lost his job. I received the workshop instructions on how to reset the "Service Reminder" and those instructions belong in the garage. Although I am not a mechanic by profession I've wrenched a couple of hundred engines in my 40 years and these shop instructions are truly worthless. I tried to do the service (oil change) reset no less than 10 times and I finally gave up as there is no way no matter how much experience you have that you can successfully reset the service reset going by the instructions as the instructions simply do not provide enough information to do the reset.
At that point I figured I'm up the creek because if I can't reset the service reminder with the shop instructions how could I possibly do it with just your plain English language instructions. Next time someone asks you the same question I did just send them your instructions, here's why,
After 10 times with the shop instructions the result was "No Go", after 2 times with Lou's directions I had it down pat.
As I said yesterday I never worked with you before but I'd worked with you anytime going forward as you know your
Mercedes-Benz upside down and inside out. You're a 5 star MB mechanic and I appreciate all the work you did to make it possible for me to save $180 and not have to go to the stealership for an oil change, my sincere thanks Lou.
Barry, i am glad i can prove my abilities on very short amount of time and sir i greatly appreciated the bonus, as well as the wife and kids do as this is my family fun time fund so you know its going to a great cause :)
Have a great weekend and Again I appreciate you giving me a second shot.
Lou Palomino