Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The red batter light is staying on. i've replaced the

Customer Question
The red batter light...

The red batter light is staying on. i've replaced the battery and had the alternator tested. it's find. it's a clk-350 2006.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Dashboard lights up with a red battery and a message to please visit the workshop

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CLK350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the battery and had the alternator checked. it's apparently fine

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
3/24/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I wouldn't trust and out of the vehicle alternator System test, they don't replicate real world conditions and what happens is the vehicle goes down the road with all the electrical system loads on the voltage regulator shuts down as they alternator gets hot, and the alternator ceases to work.If you really want to make sure get a voltmeter and put it on DC voltage and then put one lead on the negative post on the battery and the other on the positive post and make sure that you have mid to high 14 volts with the vehicle idling and no electrical system loads on ans high 13 volts with the heater, defroster, seat heaters, and any other electrical loads like the high beams on.If not then your alternator is faulty needs to be replaced, and I can almost guarantee you that it's bad. Out of the vehicle alternator tests are basically worthless, they're okay to condemn it alternator but they should never be used to prove that alternator is not faulty, because like this situation illustrates, unless you alternator is in the vehicle is not a test that can be relied upon.If I answer your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name as that's the only way the site compensates me for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.