Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 e500, I was caught in hurricane harvey and…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 e500, I was caught in hurricane harvey and drove through some water, the floor on the passenger side in the back had a puddle of water and the rest of the car floors were wet. The car would not go faster than 40 miles per hour, after sitting for about 2 weeks it would not start, changed battery it started right up. After sitting for another 4 weeks car would not start at all it has no power it is dead nothing works, no sing of life anywhere.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

No power at all, will not start, key does not work, dashboard does not light up notjing

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had someone look at it , he said it migjt be electrical,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
3/24/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr. replied 4 months ago
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if the headlamps come on.

No nothings happens
Headlights do not come on

This is what I believe happened: Driving thru water, the water got into the alternator and shorted it out. This caused the battery to go dead. See if someone can 'jump' the battery. If you are lucky, it will start. I would then have the alternator and battery checked.

It won't start with a jump

Do the headlamps come on with a jump?

No

Ok. That proves that there may no electricity passing thru the battery from the jumper cables. A completely dead battery causes this.