Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mercedes Tech ONLY. Lou -the beast has acted up again.

This question is for Lou...
This question is for Lou Mercedes Tech ONLY. Lou -the beast has acted up again. Driving back home list of problems:
1. In reverse , wheel turned to back out of drive qway - sounded like gear grinding in rear (differential ?) but could also have been rear to low and tire rubbing wheel well fender.
2. Slow accelleration from stop ragged choppy smoothed out onmce up tp speed.
3. Mercedes s]icon on dash flash on and iff randomly.
4. streering wheel offset about 15 - 20 degrees to maintain str8 course (let go of wheel and car headed towards guard rail.
Got home visual check right side sagged (front and back) 2 inches lower than left. Checked the right strut 1&2 sensor plug and it was secure.
Set up star diagnostic - quick test no malfunctions. Did suspension test (pressure and level sensors - everything came back operating normal BUT
when I did the test to manually and physically check and adjust level sensor readings the right was 119 mm, the left was 7mm an d the rear was 20 mm. Set for auto adjust - noithing happened. Did manual adjust left -7 mm left would not adjust and rear went to 0mm.
Suspect taht the 4 items above were fully related to the level sensors wherein the grinding s0ound could have come from fender - tire contact? Steering due to tilt? Ragged choppy accelleration due to tire rubbing in wheel well.
SUSPECTRightlevel sensor is the villan (hopefully the control module isnt) so if I replace the sensor will the other sensor (left) be adjustable since they are crosslinked? If replace any specific cautions- couldnt find instructions for replacemnt in the Star.
Thanx
3/24/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
I have a few things to do this morning but will respond back soon
will wait Lou - about what time will you be avail?
Looking over info now sorry for delay. Had a benefit in the morning and a grad party
This does not sound good, im gonna start with the airmatic, did you hear the compressor come on? If not we need to start there and see if activating the compressor makes it turn on.
Next, the grinding i will assume is the traction system kicking in. When this happens a orange triangle should flash on the dash. As a test you can turn the esp off and see if it goes away. Next we would want to see if the 4 wheel speed sensors show matching rpm when car is rolling BUT the fact that the steering wheel is cocked so much scares me into thinking we have a bad tire,loose wheel. Something not right physically causing car to pull. So check that before driving PLEASE.
Lou: Compressor kicks in. No Orange Triangle - tried it with esp and t0urned off esp - no difference. Didnt do the RPM match yet - which function is it on the Star (dont recall seeing that test). New tire, wheel securely inched down to torque specs -but wouldnt the lean cause that ?. Ran into something like this wy back when and then it seemed to correct itself.. A kibitzer mentioned it might also be a result of exessive salt binding linkages due to heavy winter snow and heavy salt usage on roads ??
But it all happened no warning started car and things seemed totally dfferent and then I noticed the individual happenongs.
As far as delay - no problem we didnt have an appointment and while I waited did some work on taxes. Hope u enjoyed it all.
In the esp module you can go in the actual values and look at wheel rpm. So is the vehicle physically lower at all? I am concerned greatly about this grinding noise and wheel pull. Did you have some recent work done?
well Had tie rod and front linkage replaced. As far as lower.: The left side even though has eratic reading on level sensor sit normally a good 3-3.5 inches between top of tire to bottom of wheel recess on fender. On the right side it is 1.5 inches. I'll look up the work order and tell you what they did do. But for tonite get some rest enmjoy family and next time you look at your screen I will have the data there.
here's the invoice data:
11/10/2017 0 5166 $622.09
Service Description:
WHEEL BEARING - Remove and Replace - One Side,Front - [Includes: Replace Inner and/or Outer Bearings, Cups, Seals and repack (where applicable).]11/01/2017###-##-####$1,430.25
Service Description:
AXLE SHAFT ASSEMBLY - Removal and Installation - Front Axle - [Includes: R and I Steering Knuckles.] - [Includes: Replace Inner Housing Oil Seal (unless noted otherwise).]WHEEL BEARING - Remove and Replace - One Side,Front - [Includes: Replace Inner and/or Outer Bearings, Cups, Seals and repack (where applicable).]PROPELLER SHAFTlabor to install belt
Tried yesterday to do the RPM check. First I redid all the pnuematic tests for the suspension. And:
Quick Test on the vehicle Zero faukts.malfunctions; then went to suspension tests:
Quick test no faiults/malfunctions
Individual pnuematic tests:
- Ran pressure Test A9/1 started with markker in green then would not cycle from the 5 sec test to go to 14 bar. Had to abort test
- Ran individual pressure tests - all well within limits most dead on.
- Reran A9/1 test still freezes during 5 s and does not cycle into final test.
Then ran level sensors tests/adjustments (very strange any/all) tests showed no faults/malfunctions but
- was able to do indiviuallevel adjustment per strut - both manual and auto
- car levelled out perfectly - let it stand for 2hrs - no change on any strut
- Test drove in driveway - no problem - including steering wheel was basically less than 10 dgress off center but no vbiolent swerves when sterring wheel released.
-Test drove it in neighborhood
- accelerated normal some chatter (mild) in reverse and wheel turned to clear driveway
- Steering good
- hit first minor chuck hole and suspension on right started slow drop
- pulled into parking lot full turn Steering wheel to the stop felt tire grinding against wheel well
- Reversed turn opposite direction - same results
Drove home slowly. Visually checked level. Left side overly high Right side fully deflated strut.
Checked this morning- Left side still slightly high - right side recovered but slightly low (1-1.5 Inches difference)
What is your best guess ? Since there was some recovery and ability to adjust levels I assume part of the problem was the extreme cold, the road salt, the daaily partial thaw and evening/night freeze combined may have messed up (froze) sensors is my guess for part of the problem.
HEY LOU-DID U QUIT ME??????
Sorry like i said , on vacation with the family i wont be able to respond thoroughly until later
Never got the input that you were on vacation. When do u think you will be back
My alologies youre right, i did not notify you. I was trying to let everyone i was involved with know. Ok so sounds like the strut got damaged during the axle repair. In this model I believe in your year the bottom of the strut is a fork kinda and it straddles over the cv axle . So maybe when they did the repair they moved the strut while inflated and damaged it .
OK ? when will you be off vacation so we can work the problem . How would I check for strtut damage? Would that also cause the problem as I described in my last text? Plz advise on when available so I dont waste time waiting.
I will be fully available as of sunday afternoon.based on your last message i think there is a failure in the strut. What i would try is to let the car level again and then press the raise button on the dash i am willing to bet when it does raise past its normal ride height the air will escape as well . Its possible the bag got damaged in a certain spot when extended that is covered by itself when lowered , the bellows rolls onto itself when the shock is lowered, so hitting a pothole would allow the shock to jounce
Enough to reveal the leak if this makes sense. Sorry for my absence, family vacation long overdue :)

john, sorry i had to find your chat again./

any new revelations?

i will be on later tonight sir

Lou
Has to wait - been in a major hassle with tax people and need to resolve that first. Be back to you in a few days

ok sir, i will be here.

best wishes.

Lou
Back. Sorry for the delay but worked on my taxes to avoid an unpleasant trip to Kansas at Govt expense. Hooked up the SD and ran :
- Quick test;. No malfunctions or error codes. All readings were checked OK.
- Suspension Tests Front left and right and rear left and right level control valves function properly.

ok john welcome back, glad your hands are free enough to type :)

so at this point what is the issue with the car, i know it has been awhile

Something happened to what I was typing so to be sure:Lou
- Suspension Tests Front left and right and rear left and right level control valves function properly
- Level Valve adjustment - Automatic
LF was 34mm Adjusted to -38mm
RF was 120mm Stayed at 120mm
Rear was 28mm Stayed at 28mm
- Level valve adjustment - Manual
LF was -38mm Adjusted to 28mm
RF was 120mm Stayed at 120mm
Rear was 28mm
Rear was 28 mm stayed at 28 mm
Visual check car level all four wheels. Let it stand 30 minutes turned on ignition agaon no problem.
Took it for a test drive, firsrt bump (small chuck hole) right front suspension down again.
Got it home manually adjusted levels and 1 hr later minimal difference

sounds like faulty shock, leak in the bellows

at first thought

wld that fail frot shock effect the rar because when it ists before adjustment riht rear low left rear high

well if it lowers it can cause the opposite corner to raise a tad, or if it lowers it can make it look like the rear lowers as well

then how do I check it to make sure it is bad?
and why wouldnt it show up on the SD when it is low?
Lou
- Suspension Tests Front left and right and rear left and right level control valves function properly replaced that one 2 years ago.

eh, not everything has to show up on the sd

so that does not concern me if we are physically seeing an issue.

OK - so recommended solution - order and replace front right shock ? Since I got the lasty one from ajtohausAZ and it malfunctioned - have any clues as to who has reliable ones for sale?

i would say based on hitting a bump and the shock lowers tells me its bad.

arnottindustries is a good brand that i know of.

OOK will order install test and get back to you as soon as I get it - thanx

ok John sounds good.

Back with you Lou
Jacked up the car. Removed right tire for full access to sgruct and components. Visual check of strut balloon showed no signs of tears, steress or fatigue. Then I started and inventory check on connectors and assembly. Found either the problem or the result of the problem. B22/9 extension arm (the metal extension) which hooks up to the heaavy cast iron yoke broke off right at the yoke mounting point. The mountong screw in to the yole is still in the yoke and appeaars as though the extension are break was where the mounting screw was attached. Now do I have to buy a new sensor/vave ort could I just buy the meta; extension arm?
Wow that is good news. I think you can get just the sensor arm. Ill check here in a bit
Lou did you find an sensor arm. All dealers and parts houses say they have been discontinued without replacement - so am I supposed to drive my car to the junk yard because of a $30-$50 part ?

sorry john got side tracked last night.

checking now

check ebay there are a lot

what i did was just search

mercedes w220 level sensor

and you will see a ton of them

also if you can, send me a photo of what you need,

i think i know what you meant by the small bracket with the stud that goes through the upper control arm, but if a picture would help then i would like to see it.

Will send Pic in AM rainin g and snowing now so difficult to get set up but already searched Ebay - possibly 1 set (l & R) for $130

ok sounds good

i think i seen the ones you were looking at

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Thanx Lou will be back in AM - also scouring junk yards which boast mercedes cloasest one 65 miles away
Is that senor called Height sensor ? and would a new one come with the arm attached?
Last item - that yoke i referred to is the upper suspension control arm - thats where the B22/9 sensor arm is connected to by screw
Lou
Found it EBay Americanparts2012 - ordered it and hope it solves the problem. If not will be back - stay well and enjoy
Lou
Back again. The RF Level sensor with extension arm that they (EBay) said fits S500 4matic) doesnt. The extension arm is 1/2 inch longer (centerline to centerline) than original and the screw that fits into the yoke assembly is much too short -si short that when fit into mounting hole no threads show through.
So if it is within your ability and time , while I look, would you check your sources to find either the entire assembly (sensor and extension arm) or just the extension arm. The monting screw to the yoke must be at least1.25 inches and center to center the length of the arm is approx 3 3/8 "". Thanx plz let me know you got this email

ok john i will take a look see what i can find, sheesh sorry this small part is a pain.

and thanks for the rating and the bonus, sorry i didnt say that soooner

Thanx Lou. As to the rating, you're dealing with what some of my USAF subordinates rated me as a tough but honest rater on performance. No one ever got more or less than they earned - so take a bow Lou you rate ACES otherwise I wouldnt be back to you each time and its my responsibilityy to thank you for excellent servoice.
John V
Keep running into the pair of German made extension arms on EBay L & R $145. Instead of steel arm it looks like hol;low metal tubes cinched on teerminals. Did you ever see them and what do you think of their relibility/
Lou
Stoll looking for an extension arm-scarce s hens teeth. BUTTTTT !!! Did a lot of measuring onn the broken uopper swivel connector. Built my own (after 2 tries the 3rd try worked) Installed it this afternoon - car rght side rose to accetable level. Test drove it on a rough chuckhole street and it held. 2-3 more days of ever increasing road test should tell the story. However still looking for right one just to play safe. So if you have any luck through your sources -would apprecate it.
John V