Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2006 Mercedes Benz E350 62k. It’s in great condition.

Hello, I have 2006 Mercedes Benz...
I have 2006 Mercedes Benz E350 62k. It’s in great condition. However, after I’ve had it serviced this week I was told the car’s engine light appeared. The mechanic did a diagnostic computer check and the misfiring code
P0300 appeared including codes
-Constant adjustment of exhaust camshaft of right cylinder bank in direction retarded (P0017)
-mischarge of cylinder damage twc (p0301)
-mischarge of cylinder damage twc (p0303)
-mischarge of cylinder damage twc (p0302)Services performed before this happened were I replaced brake pads, replaced cam plugs, changed oil, alignment
3/24/2018
Pete, Mechanic

The right side bank of the engine is misfiring due to the exhaust cam acuator being stuck. This can happen when dirt or debris gets caught in the camshaft acuator. This is a common problem with this engine. The root cause is a defect in the balance shaft sprocket. The metal that the sprocket is made of is soft and over time the teeth wear prematurely. The metal shavings travel through the engine and get stuck in the acuator. The p0017 code triggers and the engine will miss. The spring in the acuator will force the debris out over time. There is a lot of info on this problem on the net and u-tube. This problem can show itself at the millage that you have.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi Pete, thank you for your immediate response. From this information I’ve provided and if it’s this case what would be the best way to resolve something like this?

I have had this problem on other 350 engines in the past, and the end result was a balance shaft and sprocket replacement. You are just seeing the first signs of the underlying sprocket wear issue.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi Pete, thank you for your immediate response. Would replacing the balance shaft and sprocket require removing the whole engine block? And if so would it risk other potential problems if other components removed and put back?

Yes the engine has to come out. I have done about 20 of these jobs over the years. It is not to bad of a job, but you have to know the timing chain and sprocket, timing procedure, it can be tricky. Since the milage is low, there won't be much other internal wear. And the sprocket wear issue is a MB pattern failure. The longer it goes on like this the more the sprocket teeth wear, and more metal debris is created

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi Pete, thank you for your immediate response. Would you suggest replacing these parts mentioned original MB parts from year ‘08 and up for better wear?

The parts for the car are updated from MB. So if you use the oem parts it will work out for you.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi Pete, thank you very much for helping me out. I’m planning to have my car serviced next week. I didn’t expect this happening, you helped me understand what’s going now. Thank you and great job answering me quickly.
-Glenn

Ok good luck with it.

.

Pete, Mechanic
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi Pete, thank you for your valuable responses. I’ve yet to decide who I will have my MB serviced. I’ve been referred to a few places who specialize repairing these components. What is your fair cost of repairing and replacing these parts? I’ve been quoted from $1300 to 7k to 8k.
Also, in this case would the actuator need to be replaced as well? Thank you Pete.

The only way to do this job, so you don"t have any problems, is to replace all of the timing components including actuators. I have tried to take shortcuts in the past, only to get burned, and have to redo the hole job again. I just finished one before Christmas and the bill came out to $6800. The car had 78,000 miles on it.

Pete, Mechanic