Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2012 ml350 with airmatic suspension. My light came…

Customer Question
I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 ml350 with airmatic suspension. My light came on and the repair shop said the hydraulic fluid reservoir is almost empty and they said they needed to replace the fluid and bleed the lines. I am confused regarding I thought the system worked on air not hydraulics. Can you help

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

The ride is fine also when I raise the car up and down with the button that raises and lowers it works fine. It is just the light that keeps coming on. I don't see any liquid outside of the air conditioning

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ML350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I have It at a repair shop. Just checking to make sure I don't get ripped off. Is there actually hydraulics involved in the armatic system?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope that is it

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Mercedes
3/23/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 28 days ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

It has 2 systems for the suspension - the pneumatic air suspension and the hydraulic active roll stabilization system to eliminate body roll on curves and uneven roads.

They are referring to the active roll stabilization system, so they are being upfront and honest with you on this. See below

2012 Mercedes Benz Truck ML 350 4MATIC (166.057)
V6-3.5L (276.955)
GF32.34-P-0002GR Active Roll Stabilization, Function

Vehicle
Steering and Suspension
Suspension
Suspension Control ( Automatic - Electronic )
Description and Operation
Components

System in general
Active roll stabilization increases and improves ride comfort and vehicle dynamics.
This is achieved by the following system features:
- Improved suspension comfort with transverse movement of the body
- Stabilization of the body in the case of transverse inclination, crosswind and uneven loading
- Increased driving safety through forgiving lane-change behavior up to vehicle maximum speed
- Roll stabilization on bends and active wheel load distribution
- Increased responsiveness with significantly reduced steering angle requirements
- Improved torsional flexibility off-road (degree of axle articulation)
- Improved sensing of individual obstacles

On vehicles with active roll stabilization, the conventional (passive) stabilizer bars on the front and rear axle are replaced by 2 stabilizer bars which allow active intervention. Active intervention is made possible by the use of 2 hydraulic rotary actuators. The active roll stabilization control unit regulates the hydraulic pressure in the respective hydraulic rotary actuator based on a characteristics map. The most important input variable is the lateral acceleration of the vehicle. This is measured, on the one hand, by the active roll stabilization lateral acceleration sensor and, on the other, is computed by the active roll stabilization control unit based on the following input factors

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Would the warning light come on for the hydraulic active roll. Or is the warning light just for the air suspension

HI,

It will come on for either system as both have sensors tied into the control module. Any fault, whether from low fluid, air leak, hydraulic leak, compressor, accumulator, or sensor, detected by the control module will trip the warning light.

At this time,unless you have a further question on this specific issue, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Was there something you still had a question on or did not understand part of the answer? If so, please let me know.

If not, then please use the separate rating page to rate service as I did answer your question correctly and provided you with information from the shop manual explaining the hydraulic part of the suspension system

Mercedes Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 27 days ago

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager