Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 mercedes c230 kompressor, all my lights work,

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 2005 mercedes c230 kompressor, all my lights work, battery is good, dash lights up, but when i turn my key, theres is "no crank" sorta like if you try to start the car while it's in park. i replaced the alternator and battery, i was going to try and tap on the starter to see if that did anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Fuses yes, i was about to replace #52 (15amp) with a 20 amp. this has done this for a couple of months and usually i can take out the battery and install a new one or charge the battery and it starts but lately , the battery is fully charged and nothing. i havent replaced or checked dashboard bulbs though

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C230 Kompressor yourself? What have you tried so far?

I work for a chev dealer and the technician here has worked on it, but they cant get to it for a while. so 2 months ago, red light (alternator/visit workshop) i replaced alternator and it ran fine for a month, then all of a sudden it wont crank when i turn the key,, so alternator and new battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Check engine light is on for cam shaft pos sensor and a code for maf sensor, last time it ran it would bog down while idling

3/22/2018
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hi, my name is***** simplest way to diagnose this is to test for 12 V at fuse 52 when the key is turned it to the crank position. If you are getting 12 V to the fuse you simply have a bad starter.
thank you so much, i just replaced a 5 amp fuse that was bad in #52 with a 15 and it started! I'll test for 12v asw you suggested ! Have a great day
I’m assuming that you have checked the fuse to be sure it is not blown.
Looks like we posted at the same time. Fuse 52 should be a 20 amp fuse if you only had a 5 amp fuse in there it would easily blow when the starter engages. If everything is good with a 20 amp fuse installed you should be fine.
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
it was a blown 5 amp will upgrade the 15 to 20 now..thanks again
its been sitting for a week, our service dept was diagnosing it, i was told they checked fuses, but when i went out to check, it was blown. what do i owe you? Thanks Joe