Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

What tools do I need to remove cover for air and heat fan…

What tools do...

What tools do I need to remove cover for air and heat fan motor and where is it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to help find that for your Mercedes. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I believe it is most likely the regulator or resistor on fan motor

3/22/2018
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Can you tell me the year and model of your vehicle?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
1995 E320 convertible
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
where is and how to replace heat and air fan motor and regulator or resistor?

Here are the instructions on replacing the blower motor,it is located under the windshield cowling as shown in the repair info.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lt4e42lq304ru1/blow-03-22.pdf?dl=0

Here are the instructions on replacing the blower motor regulator

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlnz5evp9t4qhs5/blowreg-03-22.pdf?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
maybe bad resistor. Where is it ? their intakes around the washer motor mounts were quiet plugged with leaves and acorns. What you think.? I will be taking apart things tomorrow. Will let you know. I was sure looking in wrong place for fan. Thank you.

The resistor is located in the second picture/instruction link above.It is a regulator/resistor in one.Usually, in most cases, it is the regulator that fails to cause this fault here.Let me know if when it is replaced if it resolves this issue.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Pete I got the fan motor out and put 12 bolts to the two connecting wires and nothing happened. Bad regulator/ rite?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
12 volts.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
indeed I rate you a 10 if it goes that high. Thanks for all the help and I might have one more question later in a little while. Curt Callahan.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
How do the fan blades slip off metal rod attached?

I apologize for the delay.

Did you apply the 12 volts to the fan motor itself?

Is the fan blade spinning free from the metal shaft?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
it all works with a good 12 volt supply to it. I have later found an 80mm strip fuse of some sort next to the fuse box that seemed to be broken in the middle. Would that be the cause of my problem. there is a green relay with green30 amp fuse but fuse was good. Next to that relay is a blue relay that has a15 amp fuse that was blown. Do not know which controls what. Thanks for your help. Hope to here back. CC.

O.k., that sounds to be the blower fuse.You will need to obtain a new fuse ( usually from the dealer ) and replace the strip fuse to correct this.Replace both fuses and see if it then works properly.If it does not I would replace the blower resistor assembly.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
which fuse? the green 30 amp with 30 amp pull out fuse or the blue relay with the blue pull out 15 amp fuse?

Both fuses that you see blown.I would replace both of those.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The green relay with 30 amp fuse stuck inside of it was not blown. The blue relay with the 15 amp fuse mounted in it was blown. Would the relay itself blow the 15amp fuse inserted inside of it blow the fuse if it were bad? I replaced the 15 amp fuse inside of it before I took everything apart and it did not blow. Just trying to cover all basis. If we can get this figured out I will sign up with your company.

Usually, it is not the relay that will short out the fuse.Usually, it is a different component that the relay and fuse feed that will cause this issue.

It is the strip fuse that should be the fuse that controls the blower fan motor.If it is blown I would replace it.If it shorts out again this will be either due to the blower motor drawing too many amps needing replaced or an issue with the blower regulator needing to be replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
ok. I ordered the strip fuse and a couple other things from Auto-Hauz . should get here tomorrow. then I will find out. I hope.Ain't learning fun. Thanks.

Let me know how this turns out when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok for sure.

Thanks

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic