Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a '97 SL500. Oil pressure indicator on the dash does…

I have a '97...

I have a '97 SL500. Oil pressure indicator on the dash does not move from 0. Car has oil, doesn't smoke, well maintained. Only 120 000 kilometres on odo.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?

Oil pump probably as old as car. I have no record that it was replaced. No check engine light has come on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm not mechanical talented. Took it to mechanic who wanted to replace oil pressure indicator and pump but could not find parts in South Africa. I got scared and took car back but very worried. Should I order from overseas and have replaced ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else

3/22/2018
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

the most common failure is the sensor on the oil filter housing, or the wiring going to it.

that is what i would check and or replace first.

also when the sensor is removed you can attach a gauge and then check the pressure to make sure the engine has oil pressure.

Lou

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back. If you feel I have earned one, BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED, Thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician