Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I was driving and a red light came on the console. I lost…

Customer Question
I was driving and...

I was driving and a red light came on the console. I lost breaking power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It just happened once. After I stopped the car the instruction was to shut the car off.After shutting the car off I was able to restart. Red light went away and a message came on saying that there is no misfunction. I have been driving the car since.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2004 E320

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am not fixing my E320 myself. I want to make sure that it is safe to drive. I am surprised that this potentially dangerous situation would occur in a Mercedes. I am concerned about my wife driving it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What caused this to occur? Is this a purposeful design by Mercedes? How do I it get it fixed?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercedes
3/22/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 3 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

your car has electronic brakes, the brake unit has a lifespan and it usually lasts 10 years sometimes as low as 8.

this is the most common cause of this issue. most times you get a warning long before it fails yet like any other part it can fail without warning.

you will need a mercedes scanner to get the fault codes to know what exactly happened but the most common issue is the hydraulic unit located on the passenger front area of the engine bay, its a big aluminum block with brake lines coming out of it and the word SBC on top.

this is not safe to drive, since this happened once it will happen again, get it to a shop asap , Lou

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back. If you feel I have earned one, BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED, Thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified